Error Reading File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error Reading File

Can I play this game just ONCE without having a problem? The third time through you'd think they could get a decent game going (as opposed to stop and go...) anyways...

I'm playing this game, and now at this exact point a window will pop up saying:

Error Reading File

Missing Entry in "text\Pedialcons.txt": ANIMNAME_

The game will now exit

Any help would be so greatly appreciated.
    I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

this is total bullsh*t

i went to civfanatics and read the guide. I added the "#ANIMNAME_" and PRTO_ to the pedialcons, they (the 3 new units) all have civilopedia entries... what else does this damn game want?

I appreciate how it doesn't tell me what's missing.

This is totally unnacceptable and I'm seriously contemplating both Civ3 and PTW if I can't get help in a couple of days.

Help would still be appreciated

Comment

This will happen in an incorrectly modded game. If you added a unit and didn't put an entry in its civilopedia entry you will get this. The reason it doesn't tell you is because you didn't put an entry there. If you had put say 'my_unit' in that field, it would have said:

text\Pedialcons.txt": ANIMNAME_my_unit

if it had trouble finding the ini files for the unit.

It is just tacking what you typed into the field into the string.
      Seemingly Benign
      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Oh yeah, how do you fix this?

Go through each unit and ensure that it has an entry in the civilopedia line. Then add the ANIMNAME_PRTO_ entries for each of these units that didn't.
        Seemingly Benign

Comment

hmm.. i made three units, I'll give you one as an example:

this is what I put in where all the ANIMNAME_'s are:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Helicopter
          Chanook

On civfanatics it said after the PRTO_ is what the animation is supposed to be, which means I dont want a new animation, just a current one. I'm not sure if that is right.

In any event, when I go to the Civilopedia, the three units are in there, they dont have any words in the entries, but the stats are there...

Comment

Ok, I tried making it (them) have their names, if that makes sense, for example:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Chanook
            Chanook

The game seems totally unaffected.

If someone could send me their text file, or just the part with the #ANIMNAME_'s, I'd be very grateful. I'm hoping maybe there's just some pre-existing unit missing.

Comment

The directions at civfanatics are wrong then. The part after the PRTO_ is what got put in the civilopedia help file.

The next line (Chanook in both of your examples) should contain the name of the directory that contains the ini file for your unit (which should be names Chanook.ini). This directory should be placed in an art/units directory that your scenario searchs (for PTW).
              Seemingly Benign

Comment

Thanks, appearantly I'm not the computer person I never thought I was... but I appreciate someone trying to help me.

I said screw it, and went back to the editor, deleted the three units, and started all over, 4 hours wasted or not, because the rest was working out quite nicely.

Comment

Working...
                X