No announcement yet.

The Map.... Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah... Graphics do matter, just slightly... If you want to play text only - fine by me, just lets me play a game with semi-decent graphics.. (Loki I know you're watching this...)

------------------
    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

ummm.. just a quick thought.
      you can make a spherical world with the civ2 square system. Consider that each line of squares represents a latitude position. at latitudes closer to the poles, there would naturally be less squares in the circle of squares. this transition would be made by the odd triangular square. this might make for some interesting effects on city radii and stuff
      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Overlapping resources would be cool!!!!

------------------
        -Shiva
        Email: shiva@mailops.com
        Web: http://www.crosswinds.net/india/~shiva

Comment

So, any chance of getting this topic on the EC3 list??

------------------
          -Shiva

Comment

EC3 is over. It was sent to Firaxis long ago.

- MKL
            - mkl

Comment

*Resources not represented by tiles, but by 'areas'..

Nah.

*You should be able to go over the poles (not sure how to do this)

There are some goofy solutions, but I would prefer if things were left as they are.

*Elevation should be more realistic.. Mountains should not be tiles but areas of higher elevation.. Movement should be extremely slow, bringing mountain passes into play...

Thumbs up on real mountains (they just look cool), thumbs down on slow movement.

*Landmarks should be named...

I have nothing against labels.

*There should be different levels in the map.. What I mean is that units such as planes should be able to fly over ground units, and subs under sea units.. Subs would have to come colse to the surface to attack, tunnels should be buildable thru one level of earth under another etc..

A better solution would just have the game end in 1900.

------------------
              St. Leo
              http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/ http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
              [This message has been edited by St Leo (edited June 26, 2000).]
              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

quote:

*There should be different levels in the map.. What I mean is that units such as planes should be able to fly over ground units, and subs under sea units.. Subs would have to come colse to the surface to attack, tunnels should be buildable thru one level of earth under another etc..

Come to think of it, this doesn't seem like a very good idea after all... I mean, how would you be able to show it on the screen?

------------------
                No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
                No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

Perhaps a more isodiametric map, showing a 45 degree rather than 80 degree angle with the surface, would help..

------------------
                  -Shiva

Comment

About the world as a true globe, I'm for it. I can see there are some trouble representing it on a a tactical map (and in other threads there was lot of suggestions about it).

But tonight (2:20 AM now) I was just thinking that the map is NOT the territory.

I mean, I usually travel by car with flat road map still the earth is a globe (well, it is, isn't it? ).

True, in my car travels I'm not limited by some "squares grid", but the point is that if we can divide the whole strategic view of the world (as a globe) on a somewhat stretched tactical representation (as a flat map with a grid of squares or hexagons) we can probably be OK.

Sure, zooming in & out will be a problem, so we should limit the whole thing.

Well, may be I'm probably just too tired to write a clever post. Better I go to sleep now.

------------------
                    Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

A pixel with its own descrete attributes?

Do you have any clue how much memory that would take?

Game turns would take months to complete.

The only way it would work, were if you were to have a grid (like now) with the area delinated within it having certain attributes. Certain entities would have coordinates (as a superset of the grid coordinates.)

The more I consider this, the more impractical it seems.

Comment

Hey I've read all this stuff and I say that the world should be made in pixels and ... oh that has just poped up . units as polygons ? well because you cant say that units are point-size bodies ( kinda reminds of physics class ) . units will engage in combat ... and lets say that you make preset moves and destinations and then you press on the End turn button and ONLY THEN things occur .

Hey anyone here played the remarkable game , conquest ? if you did , you probably know what I mean .

------------------
                        Prepare to Land !
                        [This message has been edited by Dalgetti (edited July 01, 2000).]
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

forget about all that crap that I said higher . well maybe except that CONQUEST thing .... GLOBAL CONQUEST , that was the name IIRS....
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Someone could think about how to work it out..

But the main idea of the post was the continuous resources thing, layer thing, elevation/movement points etc..

PS. Adam, do you watch soccer?

------------------
                            -Shiva

Comment

Shiva, I see you start the thread about resources on more than a square and so on.

I suppose that Alpha Centauri concept of Special landmarks is a step in the right direction. If you work tiles inside the special area you gain a bonus. It add some reason to try to control some world area, by army or by trade.

Last but not least, with special landmarks there is no need to introduce a "pixel-level" resource map (with all the memory and CPU time consuming).

About the map, the problem is that in a regular square grid we can't have a continuos reproduction (I mean, a scrollable one) of a round world on a flat screen (or piece of paper), if not using some kind of Mercatore or other correct but unpratical way to draw the thing.
                              It's time to try something different?

I suppose you refer to me as Adam (in fact my real first name is Marco (same of english Mark).
                              My nick name Admiral Naismith is the name of a fiction character from Science Fiction books of Ms. Lois McMaster Bujold. But that's another (off topic) story.

To answer your question:
                              yes, I watched some soccer (football for european) games, I've just finished to see italian players losing the final match of Euro 2000 against France team.
                              Why do you ask?

------------------
                              Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                              "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I'm a big fan of Italian football and the Italian team..

I like Juventus..

------------------
                                -Shiva

Comment

Working...
                                X