PTW got creamed again in Gamespot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTW got creamed again in Gamespot

After being shelled in most of the reviews, PTW hits rock bottom at Gamespot.

Check it out here

EDIT: Oops, wrong link, now it's corrected. Thanks Redstar and Taz.
    Last edited by tjno2; December 22, 2002, 07:34.

I'm not surprised, not everyone is a MP buff. I'm not big on MP either.
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Heh. People who know more than I about the problems inherent in getting a TBS working in simultaneous mode can explain it better, but...

When we evaluate a game, we set aside any preconceived notions about what that game is supposed to be or how good it should have been, and we review the game on its merits. However, sometimes it's impossible not to approach a particular game with a certain set of expectations; some games have such ambitious concepts or such good predecessors that you can't help but wonder whether they could have turned out differently...

So of course they have a hard time granting that a TBS in real time will not perform as well as a RTS...
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Re: PTW got creamed again in Gamespot

Originally posted by tjno2
        After being shelled in most of the reviews, PTW hits rock bottom at Gamespot.

Check it out here
        They were so very "disappointed"?? Gamespot actually liked Civ 3, which I thought flawed even after the fourth patch. This PTW mess was exactly what I expected from Firaxis, unfortunately. Yes, I told ya so.

It also got creamed in Gamespy which called it "a borderline disaster".

It's not just crappy MP and all the bugs, and the need for more patches; it's paying too much for too little SP - for stuff that should have been in the original game or come with a patch. After all the aggravation Firaxis gave us this past year they owed it to us.
        Last edited by Coracle; December 22, 2002, 02:30.

Comment

And you know this how? You have played it?
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I have lots of fun playing PTW with 1.14f but with SERIOUS restrictions. First, I play one to one games and secondly only with people that live nearby (but not on my LAN which strangely enough is often worse than playing via the Internet).

The potential of PTW still is great but Firaxis/Infogrames fully deserved this review result. The only thing I worry about is that they stop supporting it like Activision did with CTP2 (which I fortunately did not buy because of experience with this company). Now, if they do stop supporting it, I will never buy a Firaxis game again like I will never buy an Activision game again. If this will be the reacton of us all we will force these companies to deliver games that do what they are supposed to do.
            Franses (like Ramses).

Comment

that link goes to

Demonworld: Dark Armies

??

Comment

I think THIS is the correct link.
                (+1)

Comment

what the hell??

check for latest prices on the worst of 2002?!?
                  Attached Files
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

@MarkG

Interestingly, the German sites all seem to be giving it fairly high marks (at least compared to Gamespy et al). Perhaps the German sites know something Gamespy et al doesn't know (or the other way around)?

FWIW, SimGolf was listed as one of the best SP strategy games (didn't win the honor, though)...
                    oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
                      Interestingly, the German sites all seem to be giving it fairly high
                      marks (at least compared to Gamespy et al). Perhaps the German sites know something Gamespy et al doesn't know (or the other way around)?
                      Of course, they know for patches.

Gamespot on the other hand based opioion on unpatched PtW (or maybe with 1.04f).

Without 1.14f patch, MP was pretty bad, and it looks like that Gamespot only cares about MP and not SP additions.

So mark was understandable.

P.S.
                      But I realy think that instead of making all those extra & unused units (waste from money-making perspective), Firaxis made one extra unit set (instead of two) and several scenarios, I think that even with bad MP out-of-box, that PtW would get much better reviews.

Extra units were terrible drain of resources, and I bet that more then 80% of PtW owners haven't even seen them at all (since they are not implemented, exept maybe several of them in some MODs).

Comment

Originally posted by player1
                        But I realy think that instead of making all those extra & unused units (waste from money-making perspective), Firaxis made one extra unit set (instead of two) and several scenarios, I think that even with bad MP out-of-box, that PtW would get much better reviews.
                        This is probably true. Had they included a Japanese scenario that goes with the units they would have done better.
                        Seemingly Benign
                        Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Originally posted by player1

Gamespot on the other hand based opioion on unpatched PtW (or maybe with 1.04f).
                          Well you can't knock Gamespot for that, Infogrames released it in that state. We also can't blame reviewers for not waiting long enough for patches after a product goes retail. If you put a product on the shelves you have to be prepared to accept customers "out of the box" experience.

Yes, they should have made a few scenarios for users like WW2, Japanese and being able to play against 31 AI since that capability was put into the game.

Comment

Yeah, even with MP fixed, the outrageously cumbersome way of adding custom units and managing mods, plus incomplete scenario-making ability, makes the low marks reasonable. That being said, I've enjoyed a lot of PTW elements.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I think it is fully acceptable and needed to review the boxed product. Mind you... I am 100% sure there will be people buying this game without ever patching it (because they have no Internet or do not know there are patches or do not know how to install them). Does Firaxis/Infogrames ever think about these people?

We all know the answer. It took me a long time to get angry at these guys but PTW and especially, the patch incompatibility of 1.14f did it for me.
                              Franses (like Ramses).

Comment

Working...
                              X