No announcement yet.

Scenarios?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really like to play scenarios, but here's something I want to comment on: how on earth could there be a scenario about the rise and fall of rome? If it starts in the beginning and every civ acts exactly the opposite of what they did back at the times, there'll be no fall, perhaps. Civ II's built-in scenarios focusing on the spesific events in the historical conflicts was the best approach possible.
    'We note that your primitive civil-^
    ization has not even discovered^
    $RPLC1. Do you care^
    to exchange knowledge with us?'^
    _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
    _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Comment

I do think that Civ should be somewhat more educational, and it can be done moreso in scenarios. And why should education mean something is for kids? But how many times does it have to be said that Civ is about changing history? If you want pure history, why play a game? It makes sense for a scenario to be titled for the way the event really happened even if the game turns out differently. Sometimes one wants more variety than can be found in the main game, and that is why I like scenarios. I don't see why, as is said of Civ2's scenarios, that they have to be strictly for when the main game is too easy and thus the scenarios are all meant to be more challenging. Oh, and by the way, Alternate History, which Civ is, is itself a branch of Science Fiction.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by New Yorker on 01-10-2001 08:41 PM
        5)Unification of two Egypts in ancient times

Is that pre 4000 BC?

Comment

quote:

Only historical-based scenarios, please. None of the sci-fi/fantasy crap.

~Ahem~, the proper term is "Alternate History".

------------------
          "People should know when they're conquered."

"Would you Quintis? Would I?"

"Soylant Green is people. PPPeeeoooppllleee!"
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Don't you think that if Firaxis makes alternate history scenarios, they'll use ideas of their own and not from these forums. So it's useless to beg for them. Same goes for sci-fi/fantasy scenarios. There won't be a Lord Of The Rings or Dune scenario officially made by Firaxis because they have no rights to use them as basis. Maybe they'll do some imaginative fantasy scenarios, though, like MicroProse folks did in Fantastic Worlds add-on disk (which is fantastic btw).

But historical scenarios should include more than only this 'from Ancient Greece to Post WWIII USA'. They could be set in precolumbian America, subsaharan Africa, India, China and even Polynesia. This way civ includes more of the history. But I agree that the main game is much more important than shipping scenarios. Just give us excellent scenario editor!

Comment

Nikolai,

Unification of Norway- into what? Does it take over the world?

-Viking Power!
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DarkCloud on 01-12-2001 08:30 PM
                Nikolai,

Unification of Norway- into what? Does it take over the world?

-Viking Power!

I forgot that all of you people of course didn't know that.... In the end of the "viking age", which lasted from circa 800 to 1050 AD, Norway consisted of numberless "kingdoms". But then a man called Harald 1 Haarfagre(Haarfagre is in english something like "beautiful hair)", one of the kings, began to conquer the other kingdoms to unite them under his rule in God's name(he was a Christian). He promised that he wouldn't cut his hair before he had maked this(therefore he got the name "Haarfagre).
                And just as you know it; he maked it!

------------------
                Who am I? What am I? Do we need Civ? Yes!!
                birteaw@online.no
                [This message has been edited by Nikolai (edited January 13, 2001).]
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I would want a campaign that spanned all of history and basically made the AIs stick loosely to what really happened over the centuries.

This would have to include civs dying out and new civs springing up.

This may be impractacle, but it seemed a good idea.

Also, the AIs should alter their tactics if you become a leading power and start attacking them, otherwise you could conquer the world without any trouble.

Comment

Some good ideas here...

I wonder if this would work: Larger campaigns consisting of several scenarios. This way, for different stages in a historical event, the rules, civs etc. could change.

As for my ideas:-
                    -----------------
                    • COLONISATION SCENARIO, preferably of Africa.. V. IMP!

Vikings

Napoleonic Wars

Arabs vs. Israel

WWII Pacific Theatre

Gengis Khan

An idea for a larger campaign?

Colonisation of India:-
                    • Arrival of European Traders, establishing footholds
                      War among Brits and French
                      Diplomatic Takeover of Indian States
                      1857 Revolution
                      War of Independence and Partition into India and Pakistan

I could make a really good India vs. Pakistan involving China, Afghanistan scenario. I was halfway thru it in Civ2 but gave up in favour of waiting for civ3. The nukes would be the accurate models

------------------
                    -Shiva
                    Email: shiva@shivamail.com
                    Web: http://www.shivamail.com
                    [This message has been edited by Sir Shiva (edited January 14, 2001).]

Comment

5)Unification of two Egypts in ancient times

Is that pre 4000 BC?

He's thinking of either 1600 BC (Thebes VS Hyksos) or 670 BC (Nubia VS Assyrians),

------------------
                      St. Leo
                      http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/ziggurat/
                      http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                      X