No announcement yet.

Renewable Energies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

University professor for renewable energy? I guess we need more people like you.
    Rome rules

Comment

Is there a plan to forge an agreement on anything specific at the conference?

Anyway, I hope you do a good job representing the climate's interests.
      Rome rules

Comment

Re: Renewable Energies

Originally posted by krauter
        As an university professor on that field, I would like to empathize the use of renewable energies in CIV3.
        While other technologies are discussed quite deeply, the use of renewables in CIV2 (esp. solar and wind) was superficial. Power output of renewables is depending on much more external parameters than conventional power plants and should be considered in the game; as:
        local ground surface, distance from coast, latitude (wind)
        local climate, temperature, shadowing (solar; some basic ideas have been realized in SMAC, nice !)
        water resource, height of mountains (hydro power)
        The different properties of solar thermal (works good at high ambient temperatures) and photovoltiac systems (generates electricity directly, works best in cold, but sunny climates) should be considered.
        Therefore renewables are of the biggest options of future energy supply (beside fusion I don`t know any other) some more attention should be paid for them.
        Additionally renewables should also have some impact on politics and social structure:
        less pollution (less angry people),
        less dependence from import of fuels (trade need for coal gets satisfied)
        Due to limits in resources, conventional energy should get more expensive within time, while costs of renewables should get cheaper due to technology advances.

[This message has been edited by krauter (edited April 12, 2000).]
        Remember, we are getting CIV3, not Renewable Energies 3

Comment

Originally posted by Roman
          Is there a plan to forge an agreement on anything specific at the conference?
          We try to get some agreements and binding legislation for easy grid connection of renewable energy power plants such as solar,
          see http://www.rio02.de/programme/jan10.html

Rio 02 should bring together science, industry, politics and public.

Comment

Originally posted by krauter
            We try to get some agreements and binding legislation for easy grid connection of renewable energy power plants such as solar,
            see http://www.rio02.de/programme/jan10.html

Rio 02 should bring together science, industry, politics and public.
            Good, this sounds like a realistic goal that can be actually achieved.
            Rome rules

Comment

Working...
            X