No announcement yet.

Renewable Energies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a good point indeed. Although I do think it might be a nice touch for certain structures.
    Why for instance should fossil fuel plants, as an example, still be used in 2050 or so when better alternatives exist?
    Getting rid of the problem of destroying them when too old, they would fail to operate.
    Furthermore, nuclear power plants are not expected, as I understand it, to last more than a maximum of 40 to 50 years. Once the time of one turn a year is reached it would certainly allow for further realism I believe.
    That can also be extended to other major buildings or structures such as geothermal plants whos supply of usable warm water would decline over the years and decades.
    Perhaps we would need to look a bit more thoroughly into this matter...
    The Lost Geologist Blog
    http://lostgeologist.blogspot.com

Comment

yes, right gerthermal power plants loose
      power when the thermal conductivity is getting poor (lack of water) or when the
      warm area is used up. Then new holes have
      to be drilled, but not always the whole
      power plant has to be substituted.

Comment

What about the use of energy saving devices? That should fit in here somewhere.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Urban Ranger on 05-24-2000 12:21 AM
          What about the use of energy saving devices? That should fit in here somewhere.

Devices, processes politics (eco-tax)or even education could save energy. Perhaps it is ok
          to do it as a development stage as in CIV 2: Development of Environmentalism
          allows to bulid certain renewable power plants, but also reduces energy consumption.

By the way: should we make energy consumption dependent on the region?
          e.g. polar climate requires more energy,
          see also http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum28/H...271.html?14#14 )

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Hendrik the Great on 05-15-2000 04:18 PM
            I'd say we get these ideas about alternative energies more known around the forums and see what can be done to get it to FIRAXIS so it will be noticed. Who knows, maybe they like it!

What do you say?

...done! The forum "Energy" at "Suggestion for FIRAXIS" is reopened! http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum28/H...271.html?14#14

Participate!

Comment

I'm just reading throu it.

And I agree that the climatic region a city is located in should have an effect on the need for energy. However, it should not make exploration and colonisation of such regions impossible, just harder.
              Remember that in regions like Siberia there might not be enough wood at some places in the taiga but there are large swamps. Peat can also be used easily for energy, fire and heat. As it is still used today where there are no other alternatives.

I will add more comments later...
              The Lost Geologist Blog
              http://lostgeologist.blogspot.com

Comment

That's one good reason why the ancient civilizations started where they did.
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

krauter,

Discussion of recycling in the Apolyton Off-Topic. Join if you have time.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Urban Ranger on 06-11-2000 08:19 PM
                    krauter,

..ok, I will see

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Hendrik the Great on 05-25-2000 12:34 PM
                      I'm just reading throu it.

And I agree that the climatic region a city is located in should have an effect on the need for energy. However, it should not make exploration and colonisation of such regions impossible, just harder.
                      Remember that in regions like Siberia there might not be enough wood at some places in the taiga but there are large swamps. Peat can also be used easily for energy, fire and heat. As it is still used today where there are no other alternatives.

ok, agreed, also the eskimos can survive by using oil from whales for fire or reduce energy consumption by using insulating furs from bears.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Urban Ranger on 06-11-2000 08:19 PM
                        krauter,

..there must be something wrong with the link - I always end up in nowhere !

Comment

..no more comments ?

merry chrismas anyway....

Comment

Shall I do a general overview about the pointing/rate ?
                            No more new suggestions ?

Comment

Does anyone has a clew whether some of our ideas got implemented in CIV3 ?

I was offline for a while, being busy with:

Rio02 - The World Climate & Energy Event

Rio de Janeiro: International Conference and Exhibition
                              of Sustainable Energy Technology from 6th - 11th January 2002

The goal will be to report on developments in international climate and energy research and to look at ways how the protection of the environment can be advanced through the use of renewable energy technology.

For further information including an up-to date-program of the Rio02 - World Climate & Energy Event, please visit our
                              website http://www.Rio02.com .

Looking foward to welcoming all of you in Rio,

Stefan Rio02
                              Attached Files

Comment

It is too late now to implement these ideas for Civ 3.

Don't give up, though, perhaps Civ 4...
                                Rome rules

Comment

Working...
                                X