The Battlemap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Battlemap

The battlemap in CTP2 is definitely a nice cosmetic feature. How about expanding it in Civ3? Perhaps, just perhaps (please don't flame me for this), we could have the OPTION to make large battles real time... The result shouldn't be all that different but such a move would be welcome among micromanaging control freaks such as myself.

------------------
    -Shiva
    Email: shiva@shivamail.com
    Web: http://www.shivamail.com

The CTP battlemap was just a rip-off of Heroes of Might and Magic's design
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I don't know how many times this idea has been brought up, and it has never recieved a whole lot support. Even if it would be an optional feature, it still wouldn't belong in a Civ-style TBS. Just consider an invasion later in the game that involves several dozen of your units taking 7 or 8 enemy cities - that all have two or more defending units - in a single turn. You would have to sit through at least twenty of these little real-time combat sequences per turn. I don't see even the most obsessed micromanagers taking that for more than a couple of turns. And just think what MP games would be like if even one player had this option enabled! Face it, RTS just doesn't belong in a Civ game.

Comment

Please no battle map. That is not what Civ is about. Yes you might lose a unit that if you had fought the battle you would have won. So what, losing units is a part of the strategy in civ.

If you want RTS-Civ then try Empire Earth.

Comment

Yes abattle map would be a good idea, maybe not the CTP2 one, It would help the game, also let us stack units, no more one units wipping out ten units.
          I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

the ctp1/2 battle screen is there to show you WHY you won or lost the battle, and if to give you an idea what kind/how many units would be needed to do better

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 01-02-2001 05:49 AM
              the ctp1/2 battle screen is there to show you WHY you won or lost the battle, and if to give you an idea what kind/how many units would be needed to do better

Well, the battle view reall y doesn't tell you all that much. You just see the goons firing about. You'll be better of i f you can anticipate the likey result off the battle from the hp/a/d stats of the enemy units, and then assemble your attacking stack on that basis.

Comment

no battlemap for me
                The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

Comment

I have not played CTP, could someone go into greater detail on how these battle maps would work.
                  About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DarkCloud on 12-30-2000 03:14 PM
                    The CTP battlemap was just a rip-off of Heroes of Might and Magic's design

And a good step down too... no control, no flexibility, etc.
                    *grumbles about work*

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by tniem on 01-02-2001 03:27 PM
                      I have not played CTP, could someone go into greater detail on how these battle maps would work.

What the battle view shows, at least in CTP1, is basically the units in a given stack taking turns launching attacks at the enemy's units. It's all eye candy. You have no control over what unit attacks whom and when. There is some order to it (like the artillary usually fires first from the back rows), but otherwise it doesn't tell you anything about the battle you wouldn't already know anyway from the unit types and their stats.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Kumiorava on 01-02-2001 09:56 AM
                        Well, the battle view reall y doesn't tell you all that much. You just see the goons firing about
                        perhaps i'm imagining things
                        --dont you see how your units are placed depending on the number of each type you have in your stacks?
                        --dont you see the sequence in which each side fires?
                        --dont you see the damage made by each side according to what units are on each side?

[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited January 03, 2001).]

Comment

Shadowstrike's right - no control, no flexibility. That's why a Civ3 battlemap should have control and flexibility.

If not RTS (sorry about that one), at least you should be able to tell the units, IF YOU WANT TO, which particular units to concentrate their fire on and stuff like that.

YOU WILL STILL HAVE THE OPTION, SET AS DEFAULT, FOR NORMAL CIV BATTLES.

------------------
                          -Shiva
                          Email: shiva@shivamail.com
                          Web: http://www.shivamail.com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 01-03-2001 02:23 AM
                            perhaps i'm imagining things

--dont you see how your units are placed depending on
                            the number of each type you have in your stacks?

Yes, but you can't pick the placing yourself. The game just smacks them on the field in some pretermined pattern according to the type of the units. You can't try your own strategies or formations, since you can't move the units about the battle view.

quote:

--dont you see the sequence in which each side fires?

Exactly. You see it, but you can't set the firing sequence you want for your units. The game does all that. Again, no strategies to be played there.

quote:

--dont you see the damage made by each side according to what units are on each side?

Yes, little explosion animations appear on top of the units when they take damage, and they disapper when they are destroyed.

Comment

quote:

You can't try your own strategies or formations, since you can't move the units about the battle view.
                              well, 95% of the time the way the units are placed are the best...

quote:

Again, no strategies to be played there
                              again, the strategy is your choice of units to participate in the battle

quote:

little explosion animations appear on top of the units when they take damage
                              and the drop in the power is according to the unit that caused the damage

i think the issue is that you're just watching instead of seeing...

Comment

Working...
                              X