Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I always wanted the world map to be like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I always wanted the world map to be like...

I have always wanted the own capital to be the center of the world (in most of my games, I always starts by the edge of the world map, so half of my land is in the left side of the world map, while the other half ends up in the right side of the world map)

It would be nice, if everybody starts in the center of the map (both x-axis and y-axis), when the game starts. When a player then e.g. discovers land south of the "supposed" south pole, the y-axis center moves up, and whenever that player finds the e.g. south pole, the center finds it's right place in the y-axis, but the starting place (or capitol) is always in the center of the x-axis.

I believe this makes the game more interesting (and realistic: The first map-drawers didn't paint their country at the left side of the map, when they didn't know how big the map was, or where on the map, they are...
    This space is empty... or is it?

It's a good idea, but I think the CPU overhead, especially in the early exploration phase, might be a bit much for most players. I could be wrong, though, just a semi-educated guess.

It would be neat to have, but not if it slows the game down on a minimum requirements machine.
    "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Well... it would be easy to make it optional, so for those who doesn't have a fast ram-filled computer, still will be able to play the game, as used to...

Comment

ADG, you have an excellent point, and many people have asked for a scrollable map. Failing that, though, I would settle for a map where my initial capital city location would be centered left-to-right on the minimap.

That doesn't seem like too difficult a programming task.

Comment

I would agree somewhat, at least in the center x-axis-wise. Maybe it would adjust itself to your civ's center of gravity as a whole?

Or how about just an option so you could do it manually, like at even the military advisor screen or in preferences
          I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

I don't think it would take significant processing power--certainly no where near what it takes to do the scrolling of the main display.

It could just be one of the right click options- "Center mini-map here".
            Got my new computer!!!!

Comment

I'm pretty sure one of the older civs(1 or 2) centered your map around your capitol. Even when you moved it.
              Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Yes, it would be an interesting feature.
                Nym
                "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

In civ(1 or 2) the map was actually centered both vertically AND horizontally around your capitol. When you discovered the polar caps the map was adjusted in the north-south direction but remained centered east-west to give the impression of a 0 meredian through your capitol.
                  Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

If they could do it in both Civ 1 and 2, then it can't be that hard to make it possible in Civ3...I guess...

Comment

Working...
                    X