Comprehensive revamp of trade and infrastructure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comprehensive revamp of trade and infrastructure

Here are the basic ideas from all of my trade/infrastructure posts, as well as some others....

Basically, I felt that not nearly enough attention was paid to trade in Civ2. In Civ3, we need realistic trade which is important to the players' prospects in the game. A player without a good trade set up should not be able to prosper. Exports and imports should be CRITICAL in the later stages of the game.

First, resources. Resource tiles should produce a fixed number of resources per turn.. For example, a bare iron ore rock could produce 1 iron ore, 2 if connected by road, 3 if a mine is built on it, 4 if the mine is connected by road. Rail and ship should not increase the rate of production though, beyond that of road. For this to work, and be realistic, the 'shield' concept should be done away with. Units will require specific resources (eg. phalanx : 20 bronze, knight : 20 gold, 40 iron, tank : 60 steel, 30 diesel)..

IVANMV had an ingenious idea: the resources are spread unevenly thruout the world. Certain countries get more oil, some get more iron, some more uranium etc.. This will make imports and exports very important. If you do not have the resources you need, say, to finish a nuke (200 uranium, perhaps), you will have to trade to get it.. You could buy it, or exchange it for a price set by the supplier.. If he has a monopoly, he could set the price at 4000 food or something like that. Other countries might set their engineers on building several steel mills. They could then import/mine iron ore, send it to their steel mill, and then export the finished steel at a much higher rate.

Some of the production that each city gets (say, 33% or 50%) goes into the national treasury. This way, parts of your empire don't need to starve while other parts produce excess food.

An important improvement to the infrastructure engine would be totally revamped rail, sea and air routes. These routes would be point-to-point, rather than just to anywhere or nowhere. So, engineers will not be able to build railway tracks wherever they feel like. The tracks will HAVE to run between 'stations' and/or cities. Units will be able to move, in one turn, only as many stations (in any direction) as there are within x no. of spaces, the x being given by the prevalent train technology. This also prevents unlimited movement. For units to use rail, the must embark and disembark only at stations of cities. They are prohibited from using foreigners stations & rail unless the foreigner is an ally, or they pay a fee. If the foreigner is someone with whom you are at war, even that wouldn't be allowed.
    Apart from units, resources also use stations and railway lines. A station can be built near a mine that is outside the city radius, and the resources (4 per turn?) are sent to specified city. Perhaps 2 resources go into the national treasury. Also, and engineer can build an oil refinery and a station next to it. Then oil from an oil well can come thru a station and rail to the refinery, which produces diesel from the incoming oil. Track from this station can take the diesel to a city, a port, or a foreign station (for possible export).
    The stations could have 'station radii' or catchment areas, specific to their size/status/technology.

Shipping routes can be operated similarly. Port can be built on the coast, preferably on a railway line next to a station (for access to the 'hinterland'), and ships, built at cities or the port, carry goods and passengers to other domestic or international ports, or to offshore establishments (like oil rigs and such). So, from a port, you can build an oil tanker using funds from the national treasury, set up a circuit to and from an oil rig, and make it bring back 2? 4? oil each time it returns (which of course depends on distance). This oil is then taken to an oil refinery (by ship or rail) or exported to another port. Passenger ships also operate between ports, enhancing tourism, migration etc.
    You should be able to build port improvements in he port out of the national treasury, like customs houses, immigration control etc., which yield trade, tourism and other benefits.

Airports can also be built by engineers, outside cities. These should also be improvable, with air force or passenger facilities, missile silos, SAM sites etc. Perhaps, if corporations are implemented, the would offer to pay you a fee for their airlines to ply between your airport and another.. Again, tourism benefit. Cargo planes could also fly.

Seeing that rail is so important, they must be relatively expensive to build, requiring funds from the treasury as well as time.

For those fearing too much complexity, the system should be largely automated and intelligent. It should know what to take where, with only minimal input from the user. The user could perhaps control everything from a revamped Trade screen, with special emphasis on imports and exports. From here, tax rates of different commodities could be set. For example, to stimulate the steel industry, iron ore could be made tax free; to increase public health, tobacco could be heavily taxed. For simplicity and manageability, the total number of resources should be kept small, perhaps only to iron, steel, uranium, gold, oil, diesel, bronze(?), food, luxury items(spices?), tobacco (or liquor), electronics.
    For those who would rather manage their trade themselves and concentrate less on war, there could be different levels of automation, from almost complete, to minimal.

So, what do you think? Please reply with suggestions, criticism, whatever..

------------------
    -Shiva
    Email: shiva@mailops.com
    Web: http://www.crosswinds.net/india/~shiva

I see lot of ideas from railroad tycoon

Anyway, If your this model worked it presents following difficulty:

In civ games you always have FULL control over your empire. The loss of controll is represented by citys corruption and waste level. However, with unit building and resources you have full controll.

Now, If unlike civs "shields" we had iron, bronze, coal...it would present the problem when someone has say "bronze monopoly" early in the game, and to build horses he needs only, say food and labour, then he effectively becomes dominant civ even if you have phalanx technology, you cannot build them because of lack of bronze resources. He storms you with horses.
    And then, what would the resources be? There should be a limited but balanced number of them.

I for one would like to see this work, but frankly I dont know how excatly.

In my previous phalanx example, the history-suggested solution would be: improvize! Give player a unit workshop and he should manage to put up a decent defensive unit. But now that we need tech+resources this becomes more difficult, as there is great possibility that player has one and lacks other.

"The poor traders greeks, although brave and stout people, fall prey to the primitive romans whose only luck was to sit on the worlds biggest supply of iron, while greeks made fortune for centuries, exploiting silk"

see what I mean? How will we awoid the situation of ore monopoly? will we scatter many deposits all over or what? In real world, trade always happened, often between warring sides. But in civ world of player control, how would this be represented?

Comment

I agree with VetLegion. I would love it to work, but I see great problems with the idea. Not only Vet's examble, but also the fact that the game would be extremely complicated (having perhabs 10 or more raw materials and far more manufactured goods). I do not see how it could be done with such simplicity and easy-to-manage-icity that it could be used in a civ game.

I have also become one of the followers of raingoons Energy concept, as it has many of the features of this ideas, and is still far easier to use and manage.
      "It is not enough to be alive. Sunshine, freedom and a little flower you have got to have."
      - Hans Christian Andersen

GGS Website

Comment

Another side effect of this monopoly system is everybody will become an expanionist. It is the only way to reduce the chance of becoming a victim, and it is the only way of increasing the chance of achieving a monopoly.

------------------
        audentes fortuna juvat
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Ok, perhaps the resources thing is too complex..

But what about the idea on rail & transport etc?

------------------
          -Shiva

Comment

I like the gist of your ideas, particularly what you've said about monopolies. Sid's last letter mentioned that monopolies would be in the game, but you've pointed out the importance of "price setting" and I hope they heed that over at Firaxis. A player who has a resource to sell should be able to set whatever price he/she wants, and thus a real market will exist in the civ world.

Rail and Road ideas sound right, but I think it all goes back to a workable resource/commodity model in the game. For simplicity and gameplay, I've suggested in my energy model that all processed commodities become generic units of energy. What must vary from unit to unit is the amount of energy required to build it.

The model works like this: Earlier units require very little energy to build at a time when very low yield resources should be widely available (wood, animal power, etc.). This ensures a fair start for all and it's also accurate to history.

Later, more energy-demanding units such as destroyers will require an energy resource that yields at a MUCH higher rate, specifically oil. It isn't that "oil" literally is what you need for destroyers, it's just that the game is balanced such that no other resource would give you enough.

Somebody worried that these resources in the game would make everyone expansionist. I think that's not the case. Far more efficient would be to have a manageable sized civ that sends out explorers who locate energy resources, and then sends out the necessary military to secure and defend them as small colonies.

Comment

Resources would also make the game more historically active... Once a civ starts to boom industrially, to sustain the boom, they would need to seek out new resources..
              This is what Britain, France and the other colonialists did. Perhaps colonies should be given a different status (not just normal cities, and not wholly under your control - misrule could breed independence)...

------------------
              -Shiva

Comment

I think a great effect of having energy in the game is the colonization that Sir Shiva and raingoon described. This would be needed when larger amounts of energy was needed due to the industrial revolution.

And of cause colonies should have a different status than your normal territory. The different statuses your cities could have would be: Integrated (the normal civ style way), colony, protectorate (semiindependant) and occupied territory (when you have just conquored a city).
                "It is not enough to be alive. Sunshine, freedom and a little flower you have got to have."
                - Hans Christian Andersen

GGS Website

Comment

I've been wondering... is it sensible that resources are always visible, as happens in Civ2?

I mean, to add historical accuracy, some terrains could look useless at the beginning of the game, but later, you could find out how to obtain energy from them... you even would have to build a mine or some kind of improvement to reach hidden resources. Oil extracting in the USA began in the 1850s...

How does this sound?

Comment

Jgv, sounds just right. It'll be a lot more fun to locate the resources, and competition for finding them first should be fierce.

Comment

Yes, you should have to look for some resources (you shouldn't be able to see uranium in 200o BC!). Perhaps you should have to initiate exploration for a particular resource in a tile - like oil exploration.. If there is oil nearby, for example, you would probably want to go in for oil exploration, in the hope that you are sitting on top of some huge oil field...

And the status of colonies etc. outlined by Joker seems pretty good.. Perhaps you would like to start a new thread on that?

------------------
                      -Shiva

Comment

Searching for some resources like oil and uranium is a good idea as long as it doesn't become a chore.

Perhaps we could have a command to allow a unit to systematically search tiles in a particular area. It could probably be done plenty of other ways too, but we certainly don't want to have to do all the searching ourselves or it could get monotonous.

It's a good idea though. If we have uranium (three cheers for the Energy Model!!!) it makes sense that you should have to search for it. Oil is similar.

- MKL
                        - mkl

Comment

Engineers could have the ability of seeing hidden terrain resources. Or maybe they could have this ability after obtaining some techno .

I don't know. Just an idea, but I think this can be worked out...

BTW, is this post too far from the original discussion? We could open another thread if you want...

Comment

It should definitely be linked to a certain advance/s. And I'm thinking there should be a special unit or option which does the searching rather than just an existing one like an engineer. This unit (if it were a unit, but that's up for debate) should require an action to actively search for resources. Personally, I don't think passing over territory is enough. As long as the specific action is easy to use, and doesn't involve a lot of micromanagement.

- MKL
                            - mkl

Comment

And back to the original post, Sir Shiva is dead right here...

quote:

Originally posted by Sir Shiva on 03-15-2000 11:36 AM
                              A player without a good trade set up should not be able to prosper. Exports and imports should be CRITICAL in the later stages of the game.

No one becomes a superpower by being totally insular. China did an ok job of it, but they've got a huge population.

- MKL
                              [This message has been edited by MidKnight Lament (edited April 04, 2000).]
                              - mkl

Comment

Working...
                              X