Make Some Advances Harder To Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make Some Advances Harder To Research

Sorry I haven't been posting much, but my new computer has ensured that Diablo 2 and now CtP2 is taking up all my time.

As soon as I loaded up my first game of CtP2 I realised somthing - how about making some advances harder to research than others? It would be a simple thing to do - in the rules.txt (or whatever) have a multiplier that you can set to say 1.1x to make the advance harder to research. The only disadvantage I see with this is when blind research is turned on - perhaps with blind research the tech to be researched is predetermined and the amount of research is then worked out accordingly.

(I thought I should mention too - I managed to get CtP2 for AUS$50 - about US$25)

------------------
    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)
    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Do they not already have this with the newer techs taking longer to research, or is that merely determined by the shortening of years?

Nevertheless, it is a good idea.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I'd like to see a real reason for this. I worry that convoluting this too much might just detract from the gameplay.

Don't like to wait? Program your own bloody game.

Comment

Could you be more specific as to why some techs should be harder to research than others? What would be the gameplay reason?

------------------
        No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I think some techs should be harder to research but not because they are predetermined but instead because of the type of civ that you are.

Let's say that you are a landlocked nation that has no coastal cities, map making should be near impossible. Likewise if your nation is extremely happy as a monarchy than it should be harder to research higher governments. Conversely, if you are a nation constantly at war it should become easier to research the next military advance.

So, I agree with UltraSonix and having advances have different lengths of time to be discovered, it should not be because of a pre-written code against say researching flight.

Comment

I was referring to say the automobile... which in my mind should be easier to research than, for example, the Grand Unification Theory (for illustrative purposes only).

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by timfry on 12-29-2000 11:52 AM
              Let's say that you are a landlocked nation that has no coastal cities, map making should be near impossible. Likewise if your nation is extremely happy as a monarchy than it should be harder to research higher governments. Conversely, if you are a nation constantly at war it should become easier to research the next military advance.

Maybe I am wrong, but can't map making be used on both land and sea?

I think this idea could be something good.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Hey,
                OK let's say you have no ocean cost...
                Do you need seafaring and were should you study it?
                This idea starts to sound interesting.

Or discover advanced flight without a single aeroplaneunit built?
                [This message has been edited by Jeje2 (edited December 30, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Nikolai on 12-30-2000 07:44 AM
                  Maybe I am wrong, but can't map making be used on both land and sea?

Nikolai,

It can, but in the present state map making was only used for ships in the civ games. But it probably could be expanded.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by UltraSonix on 12-28-2000 04:09 AM
                    (I thought I should mention too - I managed to get CtP2 for AUS$50 - about US$25)

Where? How? Why? Pleeeease tell me!!

------------------
                    - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                    Mars Colonizer Mission
                    - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                    Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

How about making the research time not an exact preset time, but rather adding in a little random element which could lead to advances coming a few years ahead of planned or later than estimated.
                      Also I think you should be able to not research a tech if it doesn't apply to your country and still be able to later progress up the tech tree. ex the thing with seafaring.

Comment

I think that EVERY technology should have a required number of points to be researched. The least important will be a small amount, and the most a large amount. The more advanced the tech, the more points required, but its not the kind of thing where it just becomes more difficult simply because the computer makes it harder with each new tech.
                        Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

Working...
                        X