2 quick (maybe dumb) questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 quick (maybe dumb) questions

1) The AI gets to talk with me when our trade agreements expire in order to renegotiate or, alternatively, can say nothing and let the agreement roll over. But I can't figure out how to talk to the AI about existing agreements, or even how to figure out when they expire. How do I do that?

2) In the little white box in the lower-right corner of the main screen, 3 numbers appear next to you civ name and government, e.g. "Greek Republic 5.4.1" -- what do the numbers mean?

TIA
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

1) Go to the Diplo screen, look at the bottom of the dialog box and switch from "New" to "Active".

2) 5.4.1 means 50% taxes, 40% science and 10% luxuries.

Comment

1) Somewhere in games options you can turn on 'always renegotiate trade deals'.
      Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Thank you very much.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Re: 2 quick (maybe dumb) questions

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
          1) The AI gets to talk with me when our trade agreements expire in order to renegotiate or, alternatively, can say nothing and let the agreement roll over. But I can't figure out how to talk to the AI about existing agreements, or even how to figure out when they expire. How do I do that?
          When you get to the screen for arranging trades (when talking to another rube - I mean, leader), at the bottom you can see 'new' and 'active'. Click on active to see trades (including peace deals and other treaties) that are currently in effect. Some will have a number in brackets next to them, e.g. (13), which is the number of turns left to go until the deal expires. After 20 turns, the deals can be cancelled at will by either party. You can re-negotiate peace deals with weaker civs this way to extort money out of them.

One occasionally important fact is what happens when there is (1) turn left. When you press space to end that turn, nothing exciting happens (and the trade is now shown without any numbers next to it, showing that it can be renegotiated). Even if the AI wants to cancel the deal, you have this turn where it can be renegotiated. If you wait, and press space again, the AI will usually get in touch with you to cancel the deal (unless it wants to keep it going). This is important when you are buying luxuries in exchange for techs, or cash lump sums (or gold per turn, when your empire expands significantly). If you don't renegotiate in your 1 turn window, the AI will call you and cancel the deal without a chance to arrange something else at the time - and a few of your cities may go into disorder for a turn before you can activate a new deal. It can be rather annoying (and occasionally lose you a wonder if you are not careful).

Comment

Working...
          X