Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice

Forgive me if this is unoriginal, but ice should somehow be put into the game. If I wanted too, I could send a trireme through the northeast or northwest passages. My suggestions:Either have a ice as a new terrain type that only certain units can go through or as a "resource" (like whales) that you have a 60% chance (could change) of sinking on each turn. Also, there should be "dense ice" as opposed to glacier at the north pole that would let subs pass if they have enough moves to make it through completely and land units would have x% chance of sinking.

Actually, I've never seen that suggestion exactly. Nice idea.

Comment

Ive never seen this suggestion either, I think its worth discussing!

Comment

001674 A novel idea - Icebergs

ho... hum... linking....

It is a good idea, but not new... just thought I'd clear that up.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

It was brought up in another thread by myself as well, but I forgot which.

Oh well, carry on your discussion.
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Ice could cover any terrain, though it generally extends further over water than over land (land is warmer than water, more water in water to freeze)

Subs can move under ice that covers water, but take x damage per turn that they are still under ice (x=total hp of a primative sub).

Air units can move over ice, but have x% chance of being lost. Factors involved include radar, movement of the unit, how advanced the unit is, etc.

Land units take x-hp/space that they move over ice. A flag could be implemented: unit takes no damage over ice.

Ice supercedes the terrain it is on, ie. any effects a terrain under an ice space might have are negated and the features of the ice are used.

A 'cold' attribute could also be added to a terrain to simulate tundra, only just on land.
            I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

Ice should be able to kill troops. In WW1 the Russian ice finished off many German slodiers.

------------------
              "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender!" -Winston Churchill

"Gotta love me"- Baby, Dinosaurs

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by red_jon on 12-21-2000 05:34 PM
                Ice should be able to kill troops. In WW1 the Russian ice finished off many German slodiers.

actually, it was the Russian troops that killed the German troops, it was the cold that froze them.

Comment

Ice just made the German soldiers sick. They got diseases and fought poorly. All types of enviornment should have that impact on soldiers. The builders of the Panama Canal were killed because of mosquitos.

Comment

Actually, ice didn't give the Germans diseases, it froze them, but the results are about the same. Perhaps certain terrains damage units (up to 1/3-1/2 total hp)
                    I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

Airdrik, damage on bad/unknow terrain was discussed, also by me, with some interesting idea IMHO: please look here .

A bit more search with "ice" keyword will let you find some more about this topic; I'll like to do it more by myself but I'm going to bed: this morning my two children surely will wake up very early (TM) to enjoy Christmas presents, better I rest a bit now!

------------------
                      Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                      "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                      - Admiral Naismith

Comment

nevermind.
                        [This message has been edited by Theben (edited December 24, 2000).]
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                        X