No announcement yet.

Who are the Wimps of CIV3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England definitly tops the list for me. In my games, they always get into way more wars then they can handle and end up falling like a stack of cards. Besides, their UU is hardly fearsome.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by cyclotron7
      England definitly tops the list for me. In my games, they always get into way more wars then they can handle and end up falling like a stack of cards. Besides, their UU is hardly fearsome.
      No UU is fearsome in the hands of an AI.

Comment

I don't have PTW, but I'm willing to bet it's not any more fearsome in human hands.
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

England... it's the only AI civ that I have NEVER seen achieve a strong position.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

The English
            Finally, BombThrower, er I mean Mad Bomber, something we can agree on.

Shame too...my favorite civ...sob...

Comment

England's traits are both more useful on larger maps. I've seen them get very powerful on Huge maps. Overall they are the weakest civ though.

The Indians are usually a pain for me, because you can't just cut off their Iron and expect a cakewalk like most other AI. I almost always try to hit them before Chivalry, or leave them around for later.

The Zulu are always nasty in my games. Sometimes I think it would be best to give them Iron and some money to upgrade those Impi. They are certainly my least favorite neighbor, Germany a close second. The Ancient and early Middle ages are so important, and those two can always be counted upon to just slow things down for the player.

Comment

Who's a pushover when I hit them? Well everyone, right?

I read the question as, who is usually a pushover independent of the human player's actions? The easiest way to check this is to look at that second continent when you discover navigation.

For me, strangely enough, the English and Indians are almost always quite strong. The Americans, Chinese, and Babylonians are the pushovers. This surely has a lot to do with map size: I always play on large maps.

Comment

England. In my games, they are usually very weak and a lot of times I've seen them being wiped out by another AI civ.
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Zulus are no pushovers in the ancient age, so they stay ok.

The biggest pushover is England. Even India has a better UU (and India's UU isn't that great), especially since it has a longer lifespan from being obsolete than England. England also has 'Naval Units' on "Build Often", which makes her land forces/structures weaker than they should be & since naval military units in the hands of the AI is near useless, so such is England.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclotron7
                      I don't have PTW, but I'm willing to bet it's not any more fearsome in human hands.
                      You haven't seen it in my hands, baby

Comment

I've rarely seen England survive a game their present in, so I'm voting for them as complete wimps.
                        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

English, followed by Aztecs and Zulus. The AI doesn't know how to use most UUs effectively. Legionaries and Immortals are the only exception.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The one thing that shocks me so far is India having so many votes. I kind of like their UU, a knight unit with no resources needed is nice and I like their traits as well, can anyone comment on why India is a wimpy civ, is it Ghandi? What is the deal with India?
                            * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                            * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                            * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                            * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

I disagree on India being a wimpy civ. They are not aggressive, but they are also hard to take on. First, you can't play the denial of resources to cut their UU production. Second, India tends to be well built up and can mobilize large forces if need be.

Comment

I usually see the Babylonians go under, probably because they often start next to the Persians. Their problem is that they are not very aggressive and their UU is obselete by the end of the expansion phase when the serious wars start. Obviously a minority view though from the poll results.

I don't find the Indians much opposition. I used to play the Japanese a lot and would regularly crush them with Samurai (much better than War Elephants).

I recently finished a game where the English were the only civ left apart from my Japanese. They started on the second continent with the Russians and the Germans, wiped out the Germans early on and were massively ahead of the Russians before my marines took and razed the last (undefended!) Russian city.

I thought I could get domination without taking on the English but their population was too big. Next time!
                                Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Working...
                                X