Who are the Wimps of CIV3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the Wimps of CIV3?

We all know that the Persians and the Germans are a royal pain but who do you find to be a bit of a pushover in CIV 3?

I have 3 CIVs that I really do not fear at all:

The Zulu:

UU is a 1.2.2 Nice if you are defending against a hoard but not exactly the stuff to send a shiver in my back and quaking in my boots. The expansionist trait reduces the UU's only strong trait and the military trait is lost on a defensive UU.

The Aztec's:

I have heard of the mighty Jag Warrior rush and in MP it might catch the unaware builder off guard but in the hands of the AI the UU is complete garbage. Again the CIV traits do nothing to enhance this civ's UU. Also as an American flagged CIV you can be sure you will start off with Jungle nearby.

The English:

Probably have the worst UU in the game and their traits are Commercial and iExpansionist. One is useful early in the game and the other does not shine until the industrial age, but usually they are wiped out by other civ's by then.

I have omited the Germans and the Persians from the poll, but if you wish you can list reasons why these civ's are pushovers as well. Also if you have any from PTW please include them as well.
    Zulu
    12.00%
    Aztecs
    2.00%
    Iroqouis
    0.00%
    England
    34.00%
    America
    2.00%
    Babylon
    4.00%
    Greece
    0.00%
    Rome
    6.00%
    China
    0.00%
    Egypt
    0.00%
    Russia
    2.00%
    Japan
    2.00%
    India
    24.00%
    French
    12.00%
    * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
    * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
    * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
    * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

I have no problem with the Germans or the Persians. I dislike the Zulus for some reason they seem to be bullying me all the time. Depending on the level I play that may be scary or funny !

So long...
    Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
    Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

American flagged civs don't automatically start in jungle.

Comment

No its not automatic but they do get way more jungle starts than a civ flagged as European or Med.

Comment

I vote for me
          "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
          -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Originally posted by punkbass2000
            I vote for me
            Hey! That was my choice!
            'Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
            For thou art crunchy
            And go well with ketchup.'

Comment

Originally posted by punkbass2000
              I vote for me
              Forgot to put the Hu-man in the poll but I didn't expect the AI's to vote, my apologies Punkbass and Elowan

Comment

Pushovers...

Well, a lot of this depends on the when and where.

Consistent pushovers: England, India

The Zulu are usually garbage, but killing them isn't easy until you have Knights.

The Aztecs are often weak, because as you point out the AI doesn't know what to do with Jags, but I've seen pretty strong Aztec empires.

The Romans without iron are total garbage. With it, however, they are powerful.

The Japanese are often pushovers for me when I play China, but that's because I hit them in the ancient age. Trying to kill them when they have Samurai isn't a lot of fun.

To be honest, I like killing religious civs, as more of their cities will have culture and will thus not auto-raze. Non-industrious civs tend to be weaker at first, so my favorite targets combine religious with anything BUT industrious:

India (probably Spain too)
                Iroquois (probably Arabs too)
                Japan
                Aztecs
                Babylon

The Aztecs and Babs can be tougher due to their UU's. The Babs can be a real *****, actually, if the terrain is rough. If you have flat ground, you can horseman rush them to death before their GA production churns out huge numbers of those tough little bowmen.

The Iroquois are clearly a major worry if they get MWs. I had to fight a MW-enabled Iroquois empire in what was probably my best game to date (Egypt, Emperor, 1.29) and it hurt badly. It was all I could do to take 2 cities and fend them off - I had swords and WCs. Without horses - or before they can hook them up, they're weak and probably have lots of tech you can extort.

Industrious civs, particularly those who are not still in expansion mode, can be tougher. If you catch them still settler/spear pumping, though, all they have done is build you an empire. America is great for that.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Bomber

Forgot to put the Hu-man in the poll but I didn't expect the AI's to vote, my apologies Punkbass and Elowan
                  Seriously, when I first saw the title from the General Forum, that was what I was expecting.
                  "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                  -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

"Flash isn't here [to receive the save file], BetaHound doesnt know how to use a keyboard and I have to go in 5 minutes." - The C3PTWDG, running at full capacity. It's worse than we predicted
                    Ain't that the effin' truth. Go kill some effin' bears to appease the Civ gods.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I voted for India, hands down. What wusses. I'd say the Americans are too, but that's only because I've never seen them have any muscles to flex in my games (unless I play them, of course). Which happened only once.

Comment

I've ramped up the power of the Man O'War in my games.

result: the english still suck.
                        Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

India. Gandhi is a big girl's blouse.

Comment

The english of course. I also find the Americans to be big pushovers, especially if you are playing the Persians. Of course if you are playing the Persians with the mighty Immortal, I guess almost everyone is a push-over! :
                            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                            G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

India usually is for me. Even when they build up a large empire they never seem able to wage war effectively. I've annexed them in many of the games i've played. They usually get foolish and think they can take me on for some reason.
                              "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Working...
                              X