Advice for newbys, please read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for newbys, please read.

heres some advise for newbys, read: THe List.

It will give you an idea of what and what not us 'oldies' have talked about, and what ideas we've already sent to firaxis.

Yeah, the List.

And don't forget to take a look to Related Thread, on the top of the Civ3 general forum page, to see if the ideas were discussed already or not.
    "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
    --George Bernard Shaw
    A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
    --Woody Allen

Comment

If I had no job and the time, I would agree wholeheartedly. Just reading one entry on combat absorbed my entire lunchbreak though and didn't cover the part I was looking for. Apologies if we repeat ground long since covered, but I'd rather debate than read a tome!
      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
      H.Poincaré

Comment

Diablo: Your frequent attacks on new posters here disgusts and appalls me. Almost everytime a new poster writes about something that has already been discussed, you jump on them. Why don't you just leave them alone? When I was new here not too long ago, I never had someone constantly on my back if I wanted to rediscuss something that had already been brought up. Who made you the newbie-monitor? Just lay off alright?

Comment

Tical, I am sorry for jumpin on all you newbys, but I guess I am just repeating what others did to me when I joined this site, just take my advise, read The List.

Comment

oops, double post.
            [This message has been edited by Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto (edited December 13, 2000).]

Comment

Re-posting old ideas (in new light, hopefully) is more or less unavoidable, and that damn "list" is just to much to digest. I have never wasted any time reading, even 10% of it - let alone, from it start to finish.

About newbie (and old member) advice:

Just avoid posting 3-5 topic-starters on a single day, and everything is OK. Spread them out, please.

Also; try to avoid "chatting" to much (multiple posts that only contains 2-3 sentences). A little is OK, but as a general rule; try to put in some work into the posts, by explaining or argumenting a little, for/against this or that idea, instead.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited December 13, 2000).]

Comment

I joined this forum on Feb. 2000, but I still did not red the whole list! Nobody can.
                So, I say, let them (us?) post! Anything!

P.S. Of course, it would be a sign of courtesy for any newbie to actually read the list or, at least, parts of it...

Comment

Well, I did read the entire list, and (happily!) found that it doesn't cover many ideas that have come up since. I agree with Ralf that posts should have some substance.

------------------
                  If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
                  A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                  Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Diablo..man...around this joint, we dun hassle newbies k? You can do that elsewhere, but around here, people tend to be a lot smarter, and dun hassle newbies. I have noticed that a lot of newbies have come around and that's great, welcome em, dun hassle em. And if you are angry coz you got upset, dun take it out on others. dun take it out on the ones who did hassle you on here either, if you must, then do it elsewhere...we dun talk like that on any of the threads in these forums, I've been here since the beginning of 1998, and I have only seen a few newbie fights, it's been pretty good compared to other forums.

Comment

It's funny to watch a guy with an oct 2000 registration date talk down to "newbies"

Diablo: to about 90% (or better) of the registered members here, YOU are still a newbie.

And anyway, i also suggest reading the list. . i've read it all several times. But DON'T let that stop anyone from posting ideas. . even ideas that have already been talked about!!!! Because everyone sees things a different way, and maybe a newbie will have a better idea just off the top of their head than all of us oldbies have come up with after hashing it out for close to 2 years now.
                      -connorkimbro
                      "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Although this user name may say I registered in OCtober, Ive been registered a while.

ANd also, Contradiction, i already apologyzed, dont stuff me with guilt.

Comment

I have followed your advice, and have read the list, and appologise for bringing up old ideas. I just hope Firaxis will bother to read the list(s), as it took me 10 hours to read.
                          Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                          Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Although this user name may say I registered in OCtober, Ive been registered a while.

I stand corrected. You can imagine how funny it is to see one oct 2000 calling another oct 2000 a newbie though.
                            -connorkimbro
                            "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Grr, "The List" was sent directly to Firaxis while ago, there is 0.0% chance they have not read it.

Comment

Working...
                              X