unique units unfortunately not usually useable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unique units unfortunately not usually useable

Why is it that sometimes I can't build my unique units? I've been playing the aztecs and every once in a while a given city will let me build, say, a spearman, but not a jaguar warrior.

I don't WANNA spearman!
    "A civilization unable to tell the difference between illusion and reality is usually believed to be at the tail end of its existence" - John Ralston Saul

Re: unique units unfortunately not usually useable

Originally posted by djafrot
    Why is it that sometimes I can't build my unique units? I've been playing the aztecs and every once in a while a given city will let me build, say, a spearman, but not a jaguar warrior.

I don't WANNA spearman!

I think you are letting the governers decide which unit to make. I think there is an option in the pref. menu that forces a city to continue to build the same unit constantly until you stated otherwise.
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Is it possible that you set up the game to not use the civ-specific traits?

Comment

I think Thrawn is right you probably have the governor controlling builds and also have produce same unit as completed option checked in preferences. You should still be able to change your build by a pulldown menu, but having the wrong item constantly come up is extremely annoying.
        * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
        * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
        * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
        * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
          Is it possible that you set up the game to not use the civ-specific traits?
          Yes. You can select that option when setting up the game (on teh screen where you choose your Civ I believe...)

Comment

Yeah, I have it set on "produce last item" but I still don't have the option of going into the menu and changing it (sometimes).
            "A civilization unable to tell the difference between illusion and reality is usually believed to be at the tail end of its existence" - John Ralston Saul

Comment

There is also another option in preferences "ask for build orders after unit construction" select this and it should ease your problems considerably

Comment

Hrm I always play Mil. Civs, so I've always had fun with the UUs. I've found the Gallic Swordsman the best for my gameplay so far.

Comment

sorry I mis-said that. I meant I can go into the menu, but the aztec warrior is simply not in the menu.

Comment

Originally posted by djafrot
                    sorry I mis-said that. I meant I can go into the menu, but the aztec warrior is simply not in the menu.

could you post a saved game? It would be helpful if we could look at the game to see what is happening with your build menu.

Comment

that is weird. I used to play the aztecs a lot. They can be built with no resources.

Did you actually go into the city screen and click on change production? There are two ways to do it if I recall correctly.

Comment

He may have researched iron working and had iron hooked up. Once you have researched an upgraded unit and have the resources ion the city, you can no longer make the 'inferior' unit. Inferior' is in quotes because in the case of most of the warrior and swordman UUs the upgrade is in fact worse.
                        Seemingly Benign
                        Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

You're probably right Warpstorm... Djafrot, look in your menu if you have swordmen. If you do, you won't be able to build JW because the swordmen are your UU's replacement unit. However, you can still build JW in cities where you do not have iron hooked up...

-Kon--
                          Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
                            He may have researched iron working and had iron hooked up. Once you have researched an upgraded unit and have the resources ion the city, you can no longer make the 'inferior' unit. Inferior' is in quotes because in the case of most of the warrior and swordman UUs the upgrade is in fact worse.
                            One tweak on this -- so long as you haven't triggered your Golden Age, you will still be able to build your UU even if an upgrade to it is available (i.e., you can still build Egyptian war chariots beside horsemen, knights and even cavalry, so long as you haven't started your GA).

Catt

Comment

Originally posted by Catt

One tweak on this -- so long as you haven't triggered your Golden Age, you will still be able to build your UU even if an upgrade to it is available (i.e., you can still build Egyptian war chariots beside horsemen, knights and even cavalry, so long as you haven't started your GA).

Catt
                              I didn't know about this. Interesting info, Catt.
                              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                              X