2D or 3D Animated Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2D or 3D Animated Maps

It would be great if Civ3 had 3D animated maps, although it may be wise to use to only 2D maps because 3D would use a lot of processing power. Animation would allow players to see raging waterfalls, river rapids, and river currents. It would be easy to tell which direction down a river is upstream and which direction is downstream (helps canoes). Can anyone think of any other good uses for 2D or 3D animated maps?

------------------
    JRH

To be honest, I can hardly see any use of animation at all, units or map elements... Can be fun at the first time I play, but after a while I turn it off, if I can. It's only increasing the time to develeop the game and is adding a LOT of resources needed to play the game. I think that the fact that I had to BUY a TNT2 video board just to play PanzerGeneral3 is a good point!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by rremus on 11-02-2000 09:14 AM
      To be honest, I can hardly see any use of animation at all, units or map elements... Can be fun at the first time I play, but after a while I turn it off, if I can. It's only increasing the time to develeop the game and is adding a LOT of resources needed to play the game. I think that the fact that I had to BUY a TNT2 video board just to play PanzerGeneral3 is a good point!

To be honest, I'm looking for a major upgrade from Civ2 to Civ3; one that will support the computing power of high-end systems, while at the same time will run on low-end machines. If Civ3 is not a major upgrade, I definitley will NOT buy.

Another feature I think at least a 2D map could show is terrain elevation.

------------------
      JRH
      [This message has been edited by jrhughes98 (edited November 02, 2000).]

Comment

I much prefer the quiet, relaxing isometric view of Civ2 over 3D and animated units etc. I want to be able to think straight, can't do that if the screen is constantly demanding my attention.

- Rib -

------------------
        If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
        A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
        Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

correct me if I'm wrone but I heard, Somewhere, that they were going to use a whole new engine for civ 3 and that it would be in 3D. But, don't take my word on that, I can't find the source anymore.
          I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

2d and 3d maps would be great as long as it doesn't slow down multiplayer play
            Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

both.

and we will choose.

Comment

The hails call out your name, glorious Builder, and all is well with the people!

------------------
                JRH
                [This message has been edited by jrhughes98 (edited November 02, 2000).]

Comment

I think 3d maps would be great, who here wouldn't like to fly over the alps to see their mighty armies stationed there? eh?

But, for the sake of good fast flowing gameplay, I think 2d would be better...so I go for 2d.
                  "Wise Men Talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something" - Plato

Comment

quote:

It would be great if Civ3 had 3D animated maps, although it may be wise to use to only 2D maps because 3D would use a lot of processing power. Animation would allow players to see raging waterfalls, river rapids, and river currents. It would be easy to tell which direction down a river is upstream and which direction is downstream (helps canoes). Can anyone think of any other good uses for 2D or 3D animated maps?
                    quote:

2D or 3D Animated Maps
                    I was about to go nuts when I first saw the title of the thread! Then I saw that the suggestion was for 3d animation and not having a 3d engine. There was the big debate about it some months back, here. So as to the 3d-animation, it's a good addition but there are definitely higher priorities.

quote:

Another feature I think at least a 2D map could show is terrain elevation.
                    I think the SMAC map already shows elevation very well. Just change the colours from red to green and it'll be fine.

quote:

To be honest, I'm looking for a major upgrade from Civ2 to Civ3; one that will support the computing power of high-end systems, while at the same time will run on low-end machines. If Civ3 is not a major upgrade, I definitley will NOT buy.
                    That's what everyone says - but if you think about it, Civ2 was almost perfect. It had simple ideas and yet had immense replay value. All that was missing was a strong AI and better diplomacy - which I think are really the only areas that needs to be fixed in Civ3. I wouldn't even care if the SMAC graphx engine was recyled with just the palette changed.

------------------
                    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
                    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

2D, is a must.

3D would take too long to load and is blockier in polygons. (but not in a half-year) It also has high requirements.
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

jrhughes98, I can tell you're a thinker! :]

A little advice, you're pretty much sitting inside a beehive full of linear people. Only a few will think hard about what will make something better. Do not force yourself to try and help them understand, it just doesn't work..

I have faith in Sid, I don't think he is linear at all, I think he is a thinker like you and me.

Comment

3D maps!Nothing else!

Comment

If it will slow down Multiplaying games then I think it is definity a bad idea. However, if 3D maps would have no effect whatsoever on the lag time of a multiplayer game, then go for it!
                            Apolyton Empress
                            "Tongue tied and twisted, just and earth bound misfit..."

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" --found on a bathroom wall

Comment

quote:

A little advice, you're pretty much sitting inside a beehive full of linear people. Only a few will think hard about what will make something better. Do not force yourself to try and help them understand, it just doesn't work..

We do think long and hard - but unlike you guys, we aren't just dreamers - there are limits to what can be done and what can't. If you want to keep dreaming about something that can never be done properly, fine by me...

Instead of just saying that 3d animaiton is great, blah blah, offer a way that it can be done. How can the existing map [the smac one] facilitate such a thing? It can't! So what should Firaxis do? Waste their resources improving an aspect of gameplay that is totally unimportant to all but a very few? An anspect of gameplay that will quickly be forgotten as the player delves deeper into the game? You guys would do well to remember Diablo 2 - its graphics engine was terrible, but because the programmers focused on the core gameplay issues, the game turned out to be excellent. Firaxis should do likewise and not waste too much time on creating cute 3d waterfalls - I assure you, the novelty will very quickly wear off.

See - we do think. And not as linear as has been suggested. We just think realistically.

------------------
                              No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
                              [This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited November 03, 2000).]
                              No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

Working...
                              X