No announcement yet.

Reasonable use of terrain improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is little off the track here (how's that for a double pun) but i don't think movement on railroad should be unlimited. i also agree that you shouldn't be able to just use an enemy's railroad at no cost or time penalty

Comment

Foreign railroads should still be usful as a settler will be able to walk along the flat railway a lot faster than across a mountain range, it is still faster, even if it doesn't catch the train.

quote:

Originally posted by Yog-Sothoth on 12-08-2000 06:04 PM
      I think that to use foreign railroads you must have invented railroads, or at least have a few inventions from the same epoch as railroads. Even with the knowledge you should not be able to utilize 100%, but get double movement or something. If you then move along the railroad and capture a city thus moving your borders (hopefully there will be borders in civ3) to include the railroad, then you could use it as your own.

Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
      Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

I like grumbolds solution on this matter. A railroad can still be used as a road , 1/3 movementcost, in enemyterritory and as a railroad withtin occupied area.
        It's simple and logical.

About warstartegics. It's normal to destroy valuable terrain improvements if you know that you are loosing a battle, this could be implemented in some way. Look at russia during WW2. The germans invaded areas which produced nothing, instead of a rich agricultural soceity they controlled a huge burned down wasteland. The russians had done their best destroying everything before they retraited. The germans needed longer supply lines than expected and finnaly the wonderful russian winter did the trick.
        stuff

Comment

Thanks Stuff

On the fort levels, I would prefer to see upgradeable forts than have them lost suddenly on a tech gain. That could have negative ramifications if your border forts were currently holding some ravening invaders at bay. Seems silly too if your opponent is a few techs behind but they get to keep theirs! The same could apply with barracks. Until upgraded they wouldn't produce veteran units of the modern era but sould be fine for older stuff. A one-click option to pay for upgrading would K.I.S.S too, although that shouldn't be the overriding priority. If it was, we would be discussing Tic-Tac-Toe v342.63 not Civ!
          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
          H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
          X