Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long will the AI wait before colonizing jungle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long will the AI wait before colonizing jungle?

Since a Settler cannot move through jungle and/or mountains - I would assume that the AI would avoid these areas as long as possible.

What say you?
    'Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
    For thou art crunchy
    And go well with ketchup.'

Settler can move and the AI sets up towns in the jungle.
    Can't settle towns on a mountain.

Comment

yes, it is possible to build cities in jungles. The AI does that all the time.
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Raion
        Settler can move and the AI sets up towns in the jungle.
        Can't settle towns on a mountain.
        I'm using 1.29f and my settlers cannot stop on a mountain (nor walk across them) nor can they traverse a jungle though they can traverse hills and forests.
        For thou art crunchy

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
          That was not my question. My question is - will they do this straight-away or will they wait and for how long?
          For thou art crunchy

Comment

If your settler cannot walk through Jungles or across Mountains you are using modded rules.

The AI settles randomely, it does`nt have a set time period for settling in Jungles.

Comment

I may be using modded rules - but none of the changes have anything to do with Settler. However - now that you've brought it up - I'll check it out. Earlier versions didn't have that restriction.

But - come to think of it - I first noticed this when playing an unmodded 1.29f.

Anyone here experience the same thing?
              For thou art crunchy

Comment

I think you are using modded rules too, it sounds like settlers have the same flag that catapults and chariots have.
                I (AI too) have always been able to settle in jungles.
                Call me Frank.
                To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I checked an earlier version of this mod - and you're right - Wheeled was set for Settler. But this is NOT the case in the new mod; it played normally.

However - I'm not so sure this is a bad thing. Firstly - it means that you have to road mountains and jungles before a Settler can move through or settle a jungle square. This is not altogether bad because I have noted that the AI doesn't seem to figure this out.
                  Last edited by Elowan; December 1, 2002, 14:45.
                  For thou art crunchy

Comment

Come to think of it, one doesn't just walk into jungles and build cities... But I do wonder why one cannot build cities in mountains, I think the incas had mountain cities, with stairway irrigation.
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

In fact, after the spanish defeated the inca forces in machu pichu the inca's fled into the amazon jungle and founded new cities there.
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

sounds like he's using dyp mod

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
                          Which is stupid, and tells me the AI is getting freebie settlers to build crappy little towns in bad locations.

Solution? Be sure in the editor you make settlers WHEELED. That way, they will not be able to get through jungles unless roads are built. More sensible; more realistic.

Comment

Uh, can we say South America?
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

i dont mind if AI settles in jungles before i do. i like to wait for them to settle there, clear the jungles, and by modern or industrial age, i go in and take the cities that took centuries to clear the jungles for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X