X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by airdrik on 12-06-2000 12:51 PM
    Yay, I got it right .

Anyway, I like the idea, I think it's a good idea. gives a lot more realism. After all, how can you choose to research the wheel when you don't even know what a wheel is, or research gunpowder when you don't even know what gunpowder is.

Of course the new advances were NAMED later, but they were the results of focus nonetheless. The prerequisites have to make that clear, however.

For The Wheel Civ2 says: "hey, we can ride horses now, let's see if we can have them pull something, too"
    and after some experimenting (sledges) they came up with something round. Not too bad, although in reality The Wheel was probably invented by potters.

As to Gunpowder, Invention plus Iron Working is indeed not very explanatory. IMHO a better prerequisite would be Alchemy (with Engineering).

------------------
    If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
    A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
    Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

This is just a random comment semirelated as to how to gain technologies. Lets say you are the English, and you bribe a German tank (you don't have the tech). If you bring it in to a city, you can have scientists research it. After x turns (2?) they will announce that they have or have not figured it out. This will allow you to build a "prototype" tank in that city. If you build before something like a revolution happens (lose some techs) you will get a tank technology. Your scientists will announce "We were not able to reproduce the wheels as on the German tank, but we improved the gun" It will then show the stats of the German tank, say 5a/5d/5m, and then show the stats of your tank, say 6a/5d/4m. This will give you an "English tanks" tech. If you discover/find/capture the prerequisits used on the German tank, you may have your scientists re-examine the tank and possibly discover "German tanks"

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ribannah on 12-07-2000 12:25 PM
        A bit of UFO: Enemy Unknown in Civ?

I don't think it would contribute much. By the time your scientists are finished you will probably have researched the tech yourself. Or you will have stolen it with the same diplomat or spy that bribed the unit.

He does have a point there, but it could work the way he described if you were to 'capture' a german tank in battle without destroying the tank itself, then you could take it and research it.
        I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

A bit of UFO: Enemy Unknown in Civ?

I don't think it would contribute much. By the time your scientists are finished you will probably have researched the tech yourself. Or you will have stolen it with the same diplomat or spy that bribed the unit.

------------------
          If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
          A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
          Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Working...
          X