Great Leader do they grow on trees ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Leader do they grow on trees ?

Last night I was playing a few turns on my current game as Rome. Its somewhere in the 1800's and I am miles ahead of the pack in tech and power etc. The war I had fought previously had been very long and tough fighting against Egypt which got me an average number of GL's. In fact the GL generation had been normal for the whole game to date.

Ive now been fighting the Aztecs for approx 7 turns, the idiots kept demanding stuff and declaring war on me right through this game so I had decided to invade and teach them a lesson. I assembled a fleet and did a quick landing and took a city on the coast with two spices. I had MA and MI and they were still equiped with Cav and Inf.

Over the next few turns they sent waves of troops to try and recapture the city all which fell to my tanks. I offered them peace and they accepted only to declare war on me 2 turns later when I told them to leave my land. At this point in the game I saved and left it for a few days.

Right then back to last night, I had now rushed an airport and had airlifted masses of tanks and MI's into the city along with my now aging bombers and several sparkly new stealth bombers which I used to damage the stacks of Infantry they kept sending to attack me.
    following the bombing I used my tanks to finish them off. I had about thirty elite MA and wasnt surprised when I got a GL as I had no wonders etc that needed to be built I decided to make an army with it.

I attacked with the next elite and was amazed to get another GL, I repeated this process and on this turn alone six of my elites had been promoted and I now had six new armies. Not only did my elites amaze me but every veteran became elite in the process.

Well after I had stopped grinning to myself I set about the next stack of fresh victims kindly delivered by the Aztecs during there turn. You may not believe this yourselves but the same thing happened. I made sure to turn each leader into an army straight away so as to allow the chance of another and by the time I had finished this turn I had 10 new armies. I was running out of elites to get promotion.

In a whole year of playing this game I have never seen anything like this before !!
    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

I'll say you got lucky...
    I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Re: Great Leader do they grow on trees ?

Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
      In a whole year of playing this game I have never seen anything like this before !!
      Presto, go straight to a buy a Lottery ticket or play with Bingo: you should be wasting all your luck with Civ III instead of pointing it to relevant use
      Last edited by Adm.Naismith; November 29, 2002, 18:12.
      "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
      - Admiral Naismith

Comment

go to the horse races, or get a lottery ticket, or something like that...like Adm said, you don't need to be pointing your luck to something relevant

Lucky!!! I usually only get 2-3-4 GLs per game!
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Re: Re: Great Leader do they grow on trees ?

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

Presto, go straight to a buy a Lottery ticket or play with Bingo: you should be wasting all your luck with Civ III instead of addressing it to relevant use
          ... too late... and now the big wheel of fortune is spinning again....

Your winning ticket has been exchanged with some GLs in Civ III...

That's life...
          googol... this is a number!
          "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
          "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

That is a rare feat. I have only had two games that spawned more than 8 leaders. I admit I rarely play map bigger than std any more. Those two games were both on huge maps, one had 28 and the other 55. I was at war nearly the whole game with most civs, so I had many battles every turn. IIRC I made 6 leaders in one turn. I am happy with 5 in a game for the most part. Less is bad, more is good and not common for me.

Comment

It seems I over estimated the number from the two turns, I said 10 GL's earlier it was actually 8. I forgot that I already had two armies back on my continent.

Anyways Ive got a save here from after the first turn, 1828 is the date and the second batch of Aztecs awaits your judgement. If you have a go at this try not to be tempted to plough on into enemy territory just see how many of these GL's from heaven you can get. You need to sort out production a little to gain some extra gold and of course more tanks to promote. Ive been putting the promoted elites into the new armies to get them out of way. Make sure you convert your leaders into armies straight away so as to be eligable for another.

The flow of Aztecs does begin to fall after a while but they keep coming. For some reason he wants peace but is not prepared to leave your territory.

Try this out and let me know how many you got Im going now to do the same.
              Attached Files
              A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

question

a GL can be produced by a victorious army with elites on it?
                "7. Sobre todo tipo de cosas que no entendemos, mejor es callarse" Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico-Phylosophycus
                "Mas vale un pajaro en la mano....que papa a los quince"
                "No se que armas se usaran en la tercera guerra mundial, pero si se que la cuarta sera con piedras y palos"
                "Recuerde, un pais que tiene principios, tiene fin"

Comment

Nope... no GLs from Armies. You can get one by defeating an Army though.
                  The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Well I dont know if anyone tried this but I got a total of 12 GL's from about 6 turns against the Aztecs then they dried up, but Ive continued the game and have now encountered German Panzers and Ive started to get a rush of GL's again. Another four from 2 turns so Im planning an Invasion of their territory to see if I can get some more.

I did use some GL's for wonders throughout the game and I would estimate the GL count for this game to be approx 23 to date about 1860 ish.

Comment

Wah, is there something wrong with the game? That's unnatural!
                      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                        Wah, is there something wrong with the game? That's unnatural!
                        Its not unnatural, only unlikely...
                        ...just as it is unlikely to get 20 heads when you flip a coing 20 times.

But the 20 heads has the exact chance of happening as any other single head/tail combination, i.e. a little less than 1 in 1 million.

This means that if 10 million people each flip a coing 20 times, you can expect that 10 of the get 20 heads.

So, with civ3 as with flipping a coin, since the results are random, even the very unlikely combinations will happen once in a while.

There would be something wrong if a low chance combination could never happen though.
                        If you cut off my head, what do I say?
                        Me and my body, or me and my head?

Comment

Thats true enough, Ive played games before now and got no GL's so this kind of makes up for that.

BTW got another two earlier today taking the total now to 25.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that a major factor here was your use of Modern Armor. MA are the ultimate leader-generators. They have 3 attacks per turn. If you win 2 consecutive battles, you get a guaranteed promotion, so each MA will become elite quickly, provided that you have enough cannonfodder (sounds like you do). Now, I will admit that 6+ leaders on one turn is pretty crazy, but I can see how it happened, what with hordes of elite MA and the Heroic Epic.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

3 more! Two against the Japs and one the Russians. 28 now has anybody else ever had this many ? or more from a game.

Comment

Working...
                              X