The lone and level sands stretch far away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lone and level sands stretch far away

In my current game, I've inherited a city via culture-flip whose workable squares consist of the city square, a plains square, and 19 (!) desert squares. Obviously, even with irrigation, this city is fated never to need an aqueduct. The question is, what to do with a city like this? I'm currently using it as a worker farm, but is there some better use for it? Or perhaps some way to make it grow that I don't know about? TIA.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Use it as a worker farm until you get railroads. then the desert will produce 2 food, allowing growth

Comment

Yep. keep the city. It'll grow with railroads (irrigate every tile). And some required resources can be found on deserts (salpeter, oil).
      I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

What the others said.
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

if you need something to do 'til then, name it "Ozymandias"
          "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
            What the others said.

You bothered to post that?

+1, I guess.
            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Railroads seem to make ANY city big, and you may get some strategic resources on there...
              Up The Millers

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

You bothered to post that?

+1, I guess.
                Yep.

Ozymandias... a nice poetic touch.

Comment

About railroads... it is nice that they can make any city viable, but their effect is too overpowered, imo.

Comment

Thanks all; I figured the solution might lie in RR, but wasn't sure. And kudos to all the Shelley scsholars!
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Well a city in the desert is not necessarily a bad thing in Civ 3. You never know what kind of resources may pop up, I would keep the city. Depending on its location it could be an outpost of sorts from where you can base some military action(s)

So long...
                      Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                      Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                      Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

On the other hand, the choice to keep the city depends on other factors as well.

1. Are you playing on a huge map where city limitations (max 512) might come into play? If so, you'll want to abandon it eventually.

2. If you got the city through a culture flip, you probably have lots of other cities in the same general area. So ask yourself if you really need this city or would your resources be better used elsewhere?

3. If you like to have a high score or to be #1 in the stats, then your total population is a key factor. Cities in the desert, even with irrigated RR squares, aren't likely to get very high. Whereas a city surrounded by jungle (which is eventually converted to grasslands) can hope to grow to size 40 or so.

My advice is to use it as a worker and settler farm but never have any workers improve anything other than build a single track RR so that you can get your workers and settlers out of the desert ASAP.

Comment

I quite like desrt cities rubbish until railroads and then they boom(relativley) bit like LA i suppose
                          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Fitstim:

A city with one plains and 19 desert squares can reach a population of 21 with a shield production of at least 21 w/o city improvements. if everything is irrigated and has RR improvement, so this city has more potential than you suggest.
                            * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                            * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                            * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                            * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

would it be worth it, if one had this "desert" city early on, to build cultural improvements for the long term? I usually just set them to "wealth", although worker-farm is a good idea too.
                              "A civilization unable to tell the difference between illusion and reality is usually believed to be at the tail end of its existence" - John Ralston Saul

Comment

Working...
                              X