Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totaly disagree, it would add to the games realism

------------------
    I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
    I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

I think the reason minor civs have existed is because either they couldn't integrate with any dominant power nearby, a Great power would be too strained on its resources if it tried to control them, and it would hurt diplomatic standing of the Great power if it were such a bully. A great power becomes so by having any combination of economic, scientific or military hegemony over a large part of the world. Also, I think minor civs should be able to (and tend to) break off of a great power who is either too lax or too harsh in its control. But alas, that's a topic for another thread...

Comment

quote:

What limitations? As I see it, there would be no limitations, except the ones that would also affect major civs. The minor civs, as far as I know, would not be 'handicapped', and if the circumstances were ripe, could rise to be major civs.

Then what will define the difference between major and minor civs?

Shogun, I was referring to the example by Tiberius not your's.

According to Adm. Naismith Sid Meier said that the minor civ will just be a village with some special "resource". If it is just a village there is no reason not to just force them to give their special "Resource" or just kill them and take it if you are more violent.
        "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
        "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
        "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

quote:

According to Adm. Naismith Sid Meier said that the minor civ will just be a village with some special "resource".

Sid never said something like this. He only said that minor civs is an idea from the Apolyton List that will be in the game. So, the best you can do is to read the List to see how these minor civs are described there.

As for the Switzerland issue: I'm not saying that minor civs couldn't have any power: but maybe not every country/nation wants to become a big power, at least not military power. I can imagine a civ, which has only 3 or 4 cities and do not want to grab more territory, but instead they want to develope their infrastructure and economy, keeping their neutrality in wars, thus becoming a respected, rich country.
          This is what I wanted to say when I wrote "play Switzerland". Of course, the "minor civs" Firaxis is talking about could be something totally different from that.
          "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
          --George Bernard Shaw
          A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
          --Woody Allen

Comment

quote:

According to Adm. Naismith Sid Meier said that the minor civ will just be a village with some special "resource".

Well, not.
            Sorry if I didn't explained well. I explained my supposition about Sid declaration: "Minor Civ will be IN"

quote:

Sid never said something like this. He only said that minor civs is an idea from the Apolyton List that will be in the game. So, the best you can do is to read the List to see how these minor civs are described there.

That's a good correction, and a proper suggestion, too.

------------------
            Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Tiberius on 11-23-2000 01:18 AM

As for the Switzerland issue: I'm not saying that minor civs couldn't have any power: but maybe not every country/nation wants to become a big power, at least not military power. I can imagine a civ, which has only 3 or 4 cities and do not want to grab more territory, but instead they want to develope their infrastructure and economy, keeping their neutrality in wars, thus becoming a respected, rich country.
              This is what I wanted to say when I wrote "play Switzerland". Of course, the "minor civs" Firaxis is talking about could be something totally different from that.

BINGO!!!

I could not say that better.

Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

quote:

BINGO!!!
                I could not say that better.

Now you made me happy
                "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                --George Bernard Shaw
                A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                --Woody Allen

Comment

In real world countries as Switzerland survived to many war as "neutral" for many reasons, the main one is "they were more useful as neutral than as conquered".

Switzerland was (and is) a great place for money management, trade pacts and diplomatic affair.

Israel have a very strong army, well supported by USA technology and production (as it was by France about 30 years ago: the french Mirage fighter was largely used and enhanced by Israel). Anyone understand its role in middle east scenario, as the reason for the support it has from USA and others western nations.

This is probably the border between minor and major nations in CIV 3 terms: while major (as in "Civ 2" style) nations can raise and fall (they are main characters of the movie ), minor will be in game with a different scope, to act as "cushion" between main nations, to fill the gap the game AI left for technical limits.

While me too, at the moment of Sid announce, complained about the predefined limit of minor civ, now I'm more for a realistic approach: I'm trying to imagine how to put at work secondary characters, to make a better, great movie

------------------
                  Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                  "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                  - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Working...
                  X