Catastrophes preventable by improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catastrophes preventable by improvements

In the old Civ-1 game, the granary-improvement saved you from reoccuring famines in that city. For some odd reasons, this idea of nature-disasters preventable by city-improvements was dropped in Civ-2.

I would like to see the idea revived in Civ-3. I think it should because it have a nice built-in anti-ICS effect. What do you guys think?

- Food-related improvements minimizes increasingly the effects of regurlary reoccuring famines. The more you have of them, the more famines are prevented.

- Health-related improvements (including Sewer-systems) minimizes increasingly the effects of regurlary reoccuring plagues. The more you have of them, the more plagues are prevented.

Its important that these disasters are *regurlary* reoccuring (every xx turn) in for example 10-20% of all your cities (selected by chance). Just like in historic reality. Othervise, most cheat-player are likely to just reload a previously saved game.

Any more nature-disasters preventable by this or that city-improvement?

When near to rivers, an otherwise useless improvement could lower the chance of floods, and with costly improvements to lower it even further.
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Agree, this will make the game more realistic IMO.

Comment

Sure!
        Fire dept. = also in the past entire cities where sweept by fire (Rome, Los Angeles...)

Weather service = helps with modern ships and planes travel (increase trade revenue, because of reduced loss of cargo/passengers)

More improvements can follow...

------------------
        Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Good idea. This would add to the realism

------------------
          I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
          I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

What would the catastrophies be, so far

Riots- Police Station, Aqueduct
            Fires- Fire Dept.
            Famines- Granary
            Plague (-1 pop)- Sewer system
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Volcanoes and earthquakes were in civ1 .. except you can't really defend against these.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

For earthquakes, you need sound building design and maintenance. Nice idea, but it's a little too much micromanagement even for me! More in line with SimCity or something.

--
                Jared Lessl

Comment

Good idea, this ought to be revived from Civ I, though if you read one of the posts from firaxis they claim to have solved ICS already (they don't say how).
                  Rome rules

Comment

Yes, good idea.

Here's the list in my vision:

Riots (though it's not a natural catastrophe)- Temple, Colloseum, Cathedral, Police Station
                    Fires- Fire Dept.
                    Famines- Granary, Supermarket (completely eliminates famines, also adds +gold)
                    Plagues (-1 pop)- Aqueduct, Sewer system, Hospital (I think Firaxis shouldn't limit the growth of cities to 8 or 12, but increases the chances of diseases if the city has no aqueduct and/or sewer system)
                    Floods- Weather services (also increases trade revenue because of reduced loss of cargo/passengers, but only if you have harbour or airport in the city!!!). I'm sure there's more here, especially for ancient times, but right now I can't figure out what
                    Pollution- Recycling Center, Mass Transit, Fusion Plant. I think pollution should also increases the chances for floods, diseases, tornadoes.

OK. More???
                    "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                    --George Bernard Shaw
                    A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                    --Woody Allen

Comment

quote:

Floods- Weather services (also increases trade revenue because of reduced loss of cargo/passengers, but only if you have harbour or airport in the city!!!)

Right. Good correction.

------------------
                      Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                      "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                      - Admiral Naismith

Comment

floods-dams (dams stop flooding downstream altogether, but create reservoirs, a tile of 'ocean' square, or a widened stretch of the river depending on how it's implemented)

Other unstoppable disasters should be implemented and have things that lessen the blow, ex:
                        Hurricane-Damages everything in x amount of area, causes x amount of damage to population
                        Weather service reduces pop decrease to about 5%

Tornado-Desrtoys random buildings in one city(only one or two) as well as x amount of damage to pop
                        Weather service reduces pop decrease to .1%

Earthquake-damages buildings, causes x pop decrease(greater damages near source)
                        Improved building design reduces damages to 5% of total damage that would have been done.

Volcano-destroys up to 1 city, terrain=lava rock
                        Volcano detection systems allow pop to flee city before the volcano erupts, new city apears outside of reach of volcano w/99% of pop as first city or population in nearest city increases by the population of the city destroyed-1%

Tsuname-1 island is no more or a groop of ships in x area are destroyed or damage done to one costal city
                        Tsuname detection(weather service) allows ships/citizens to retreat before any damage is done.

comments, suggestions?
                        I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

Impressive list of suggestions.

Anyway, as i already implied - the idea of catastrophes/nature disasters can be implemented both in a bad, and in a good way:

The bad way: Random, unpredictable and unpreventable disasters. Such random acts of the AI often *only* leads to player-frustration and that reloading-a-saved-game routine.

The good way: non-random, predictable AND to a high degree *preventable* disasters.
                          The only random aspect should be that you dont know in which 10-20% of the improvement-lacking cities, its going to happen. (By the way: is 10-20% a good ratio?)

How often these disasters reoccurs should be dependent on game-levels and game-eras - thats obvious.

One thing is for sure: If Firaxis should revive this old Civ-1 idea in Civ-3, it must be very carefully tweaked and balanced: too many reoccuring disasters in too many cities early on in the game, and the player is likely to feel constantly backstabbed by the game-AI. Not fun at all!

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited January 16, 2001).]

Comment

yeah, and not everywhere...

Ignore this:
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Sure you could prevent earthquakes and volcanos! Just remember to pray to the CivGods...

"Volcano erupts near ___! Citizens demand TEMPLE!"
                              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Working...
                              X