Best starting positions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best starting positions ?

OK, I know we had a thread some time ago regarding the worst starting positions... I just begun an emperor game as the Russians, all random, and here's what I first see.

I think I'll love the Russians for once
    Attached Files
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

i assume this post to be meant as an ironical musing? moving one square to the left comprises one of the all time greatest starting positions in my ever so humble opinion.

lateralis
    "As far as I'm concerned, humans have yet to come up with a belief worth believing." --George Carlin

Comment

Yep, I've never had such a fantastic starting position (by moving my settler one tile to the left, there is one more cattle ).
      I wonder if some people here even had something better
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Seconded. Wow. Spiffor, you should post the 4000 BC SAV for new players.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Keep us updated on the progress of this one, Spiffor. I'd like to see how far out in front you get. That is the best starting location I've ever seen. It's downright beautiful
          "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

Comment

Actually, after some exploration, the land surrounding me doesn't look like a pangaea (I only play Russians when I feel having half the surface of the world), so I don't think I'll continue the game

Here's the save at the very beginnign for those who want some happiness after having a crapstart
            Attached Files

Comment

tsk tsk it's close to jungle and it doesn't get the river bonus
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

This was quite wonderful, but alas, it has no river close to it...
                Attached Files
                I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Wonderful start, Spiffor. I hope the cows are not mad. What I see, is 3 cities with a granary and an output of 3 settlers in 4 turns or 3 workers in 2, if you can manage to get the shields (I don't see bonus grassland) and happiness on emperor.

Comment

Sometimes good starting positions are not always obvious from the start, but they are just as good.

For example when you start on an island, together with the Egyptians.
                    Only to find out you are sitting on the only source of horses on the entire island.

Comment

Wow.

As someone who tends to seek out nice starting spots, I have to say that's one of the best I've ever seen. One of the best, but I don't think THE best. I've had better (but not for a long time).

A lot of times, though, the surrounding land is terrible, meaning that what looked intially like an awesome start spot actually isn't any good.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I've seen better..
                        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

What if that goody huts contain a settler...

Now THAT would be the best start ever

Comment

panag, what is it with you and the Americans lately??

Nice start, aaglo.
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
                            X