What's the best use for catapults?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best use for catapults?

It seems to me they don't have much use.

They're too weak to effectively bombard towns, and are virtually useless against cities. You'd need masses of them to do any good, and you really can't afford the time or resources in the ancient era to mass-build them.

And when it comes to defending your own cities, it seems to me you'd be better off using the time needed to build them by building a spearman/pikeman instead.

Your thoughts?
    "Perseus wore a magic cap so that the monsters he hunted might not see him. We draw the magic cap down over our own eyes and ears so as to deny that there are any monsters" - Karl Marx

Build 'em cheap.

Don't use them.

Upgrade to canon when possible.

Don't have to spend time building canons...

Comment

I've never built or used catapults (OK, once. But that's how I worked out how useless they are). But I can see the same use for them as there is for warriors and chariots.

To upgrade later on (though I wait until I can get artillery to upgrade and use them, since cannons are quite useless as well in my experience).

But then again, by the time I have Replaceable Parts, I can usually crank out an artillery unit every three turns in my core cities. That's why I hardly bother with catapults anyway.
      "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
      "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
      "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Catapults are great if you combine them with slow moving early UU's. Legions + Catapults = No Casualties When taking cities (lot's of elites and GL's) and no losses from counterattacks because the legions have defense of 3 and catapults knocks the first HP off any attacker.

Try out a stack of 10 catapults + 10 legions. Definitedly more effective than 20 legions.

Comment

10 catapults + 10 legions. I have to try it some day

Catapults will also strengthen your defense if you use them right. As they are rather inaccurate(and weak) you will need at least 2-3 of them. Use them to soften up attackers before they reach your positions, then finish them off with your own offensive units or let them flee back to their own territory to heal. Their biggest strength is that they can lower your own losses drastically.
          Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

It's true that catapults are not very effective against towns or cities... however, my experience shows that they are very good against units in the open terrain. Take two spearmen, some archers or swordsmen, and two or three catapults, put them on a hill and you will be surprised, how much damage you will be able to inflict on your enemy. I have done this successfully several times. Especially useful for holding chokepoints or establishing an "operational base" in the enemy territory - your opponent will do whatever to force you out of his territory and will thus bleed heavily...

Comment

Try out a stack of 10 catapults + 10 legions. Definitedly more effective than 20 legions.
              I'd take 20 legions , or even 15. It would have to be very exceptional situation for me even to consider catapults. There is no time to stop for throwing rocks when you need to take their cities, every turn counts. Catapults are for disbanding, if you manage to conquer some.

Comment

I will use catapults I capture to fire at units attempting to counterattack, and then finish the unit with an elite, hoping for a leader. Thus, the catapult helps preserve my elite unit.

I will build some catapults shortly before the discovery of metallurgy, so that I can upgrade them to cannon and later artillery.

I rarely use bombard units on the attack because they are so slow.

I have never teamed catapults with legionaries... but I could see how they would be useful. I hate slow units and most ancient UUs (for timing reasons), though.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Time and time again I've got myself out of a real pickle thanks to catapults (though, admittedly, much more with cannons, etc.); I try to keep a pile of them ready in my border cities - that is, where I'm most likely to be attacked - and I use them to soften up my attackers before blasting them to smithereens with my units, often INFERIOR units. Knock a notch or two off an elite enemy unit and your conscript has a chance to both win and be promoted. It makes a BIG difference. I apply this very seriously all through my game, and as far as I can tell, the AI doesn't use bombard nearly so effectively (except with bombers).

Comment

What's the best use for catapults?

Tempted to reply, "kindling," but that's not really true. I think Jeannette has a good point that applies to all the bombarment units - they do have great defensive value. My problem with catapults is that they tend to have value for such a very brief time before the newer foot/horse units make them superfluous.
                    "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Comment

What's the best use?

As far as I can tell, upgrading them to artillery or radar arty.

I was actually thinking about this last night:

Mill Advisor: "Mr. President, we should convert these 2000 year old wooden catapults into computer controlled multiple rocket launchers"

Prez: "Okay"

Comment

Catapults, Cannon, and Artillery are best when used defensively, but they can be used in an offensive role too. Stack 25-30 of these units together with a good mixture of offensive and defensive units and you can destroy any city you wish. The only downside is the slowness of the attack. Best used in a Republic or Monarch type gvernment.
                        * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                        * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                        * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                        * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Like others mentioned, I place catapult units in my cities that border another civ. I upgrade them to cannon when I can. I use quite a few bombard unit throughout the game. The best thing to do is find good terrain, like hills or mountains right outside a city, then fortify some good units ontop of about 3 catapults/cannon/artillery and blast away at the city for about 6 or 7 turns then move in for the kill. I try to bombard until the barracks are destroyed, take down the defending units a notch or two and then attack with my units, leaving one behind to protect the catapults.

Comment

hi ,

they are great when i a small stack of units , when attacked , they shall defend the stack or city , dont build to many of them , the ones that you have to many are best to be disbanded when building a new unit or building , cannons are not that great neither , you dont need to many of them , artillery is really worth going for , but dont start to build catapults now in order to have them fast with artillery , they cost money in the mean time , .....

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by statusperfect (lot's of elites and GL's)
                              That is a very important reason. Here is a Catapult attack that led directly to a Great Leader. Taking consistent advantage of such opportunites will always maximize your chances of promotion or a Great Leader.

And you will probably find more of your units intact at the end of the battle.

Comment

Working...
                              X