No announcement yet.

Are Destroyers almost useless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see a need for navies at all. but then i guess that's because i don't play with little islands

I do keep a few small boats sometimes to finish off the enemie naval boats after artillary have savaged them.
    (for some strange reason...england still makes a ton of ships even when there is just one continent to fight over )

Comment

Well, there isn't much of a point for a Navy if you play on Pangea but it's always interesting and itspices the game up a bit.

So long...
      Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
      Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
      Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

Since (in my universe) they don't represent 1 destroyer but a destroyer/cruiser based task force/flotilla, it doesn't matter much what they are called. Just as battleships represent a number of ships based on a core of battleships.
        Is marine called "medic" in your universe?

Comment

i think they can be useful... and besides, if there weren't enough modern naval units, then firaxes would get complaints.
          and they make good scouts, in a way. you don't want to have wour expensive battleships be picked off by subs, so the best thin to do is to send a couple of destroyers in front of your main fleet.

they can be good for modding to, i like to increase there movement by 1, and give them the "intercept" ability. only being able to hit air with air bugs me.

Comment

Originally posted by tinyp3nis

Is marine called "medic" in your universe?
            Are marines based around medics?

Comment

Originally posted by statusperfect
              Are marines based around medics?
              It's possible he was referring to marines' reputed high casualty rate.

... And no, I do not consider them based on medics.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

It's possible he was referring to marines' reputed high casualty rate.

... And no, I do not consider them based on medics.
                Actually I was just joking about how someone mentioned the Destroyer should be called Cruiser, and you pointed out that in your opinion they should be Destroyers because the fleets have both ships. And if the unit has more characteristics of a Cruiser why it should be Destroyer? Well marine corps have also medics and other people, not just grunts with guns. So I was making fun of that logic but I guess my jokes are farfetched. Oh btw I didn't and don't even know if the unit is more like Destroyer or Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Redstar
                  I don't see a need for navies at all. but then i guess that's because i don't play with little islands

I do keep a few small boats sometimes to finish off the enemie naval boats after artillary have savaged them.
                  (for some strange reason...england still makes a ton of ships even when there is just one continent to fight over )
                  The Enlsish AI is set to build ships no matter what the circumstances
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                  Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

They will definitively build a lot of man-o-wars. Imagine if it is a pangea world and nobody else bothers to build any ships at all? The english would never have a golden age

(well, if they build the lighthouse they will have GA anyway but they wouldn't get it from UU victory)
                    Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

I have an excellent use for destroyers. When under threat of coastal bombardment from enemy battleships, use artillery to bombard the battleship. This is almost always successful (far more successful than bombarding units or cities) and can reduce a battleship to 1 hit point. Use destroyers to finish off the battleship. A veteran or elite destroyer will usually beat a battleship with only 1 hit point left. The trick is to keep your destroyers hidden in coastal cities.
                      In my current game I have used this tactic to kill off 6 or more battleships; without losing a single destroyer.

Comment

They do poorly in bombardment. They have a one square range, so they're only really good for bombarding coastal squares. And they fail more often than battleships in destroying improvements, too.
                        I wish for a custom avatar - it would give me some individuality.
                        I am a dissenter of the required first/last name fields.

Comment

i made the older ships upgrade to them, so you end up like the real world navys, alot more Destroyers than anything else.

and don't say anything about that being unfair when it comes to jumping from them to the destroyers, cuz it costs 140/160 to upgrade them! Took me 10 turns to upgrade them all in my game.
                          Help negate the vegiterian movement!
                          For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

Working...
                          X