To Mod or Not to Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Mod or Not to Mod

I was wondering how many people play unmodded Civ3 and how many people mod the rules
    Unmodded Vanilla Civ III most of the time
    38.89%
    Modded CivIII (I don't care for the default rules)
    30.56%
    I play both ways
    30.56%

The poll is expired.

I play unmodded, but am keeping a close eye on the AU mod to see if it produces a more challenging AI.

EDIT: I play with graphics mods, but not rules mods.

Catt
    Last edited by Catt; November 20, 2002, 10:51.

Comment

I play unmodded for now. I have downloaded some saves with mods and had problems, plus they do not always tell you all the things that were changed. Down the road, I will play some of the modded scenarios.

Comment

Vanilla for me, please.

Comment

I play both (unless you count graphics mods, in which case I nearly always play mods).
          Seemingly Benign
          Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I agree with warpstorm, graphic mods don't count. I hange them every month or so just for fun anyway!

I play both, but in such a sence that I never play mods that change the game completely (unless it's like a wild west scenario or something). The only mods I really play are adding a few builing, units, or techs, but never changing the tech rate, order, units stats, etc.

I just want a bigger more complex game... *sigh* is that too much to ask for or has SMAC spoiled me?

Comment

Heavily modded!

Rearranged tech tree (For example now I get galleons and frigates MUCH earlier than ironclads).

Added about as many custom units as there are original ones in the game and changed a lot of original stats.

Added new governments (City States, Theocracy, Absolutism, Fascism and Corporate Republic) (Yes, I've been playing CTP before Civ3 and severly missed the big variety of govs).

Some other light modifications (e.g. two gold for one tax collector, ...)

I started modding just after playing the original game one or two times and continously added modifications. For more than half a year I didn't play two consecutive games with the same rules. Keeps me from getting bored.

Comment

I've played it modded ever since the first patch came out, because there are just some things that don't work for me. Explorers come too late to do any good, ironclads come too soon, and I tend to add units. I always use graphics mods as well, such as Sn00py's or WarpStorm's.
                Some people say that today is the first day of the rest of your life. That's true, for every day but one: the day you die.

Comment

Graphic mods only so far. The game works for me. A couple of scenarios interest me and I'll give them a try. I like what AU is up to and hope something will come from it that can become sort of a consensus mod that most of us will use.
                  "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Comment

A few twekas and twists!

So long...
                    Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                    Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

I like vanilla
                      "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                      --George Bernard Shaw
                      A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                      --Woody Allen

Comment

yeah, plain vanilla...
                        googol... this is a number!
                        "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
                        "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

For SP, I play a pretty heavily-modded game.

As with above, I've added a couple of governments (City-State, Fascism), made a couple of tweaks to the unit upgrade tree (so as to not orphan medieval-age offensive infantry units), mods to some units themselves (all post-cannon arty can kill, as can fighters against naval vessels, more kick to off-shore bombardment, etc), and many, many new units. The new units are aimed at filling gaps in the tech advancements- Like the HMS Warrior; as a frigate with massive iron plating; Revolutionary War / Napoleonic War riflemen coming between "musketmen" and "riflemen"; longer-range but weaker hitting howitzers (added to arty); not to mention self-propelled arty, and WWI aircraft and armor.

I've also added in the expanded resources; and placed requirements for many units to use them. (Example: a WWI fighter requires wood, cotton and oil).

The tech tree has been lengthened to take this into account; and with PTW available, the 'years per turn' ratio has likewise been modified.

The overall effect of this is a much, much longer game- it takes me about twice to three times as long to play. On the other hand, I get a more realistic progression of techs; primarily as it comes to the armaments of war. This befits my style of play (warmonger) well; though a builder might find it much more tedious.

When it comes to Civ, I highly doubt that "one size fits all." That's what modding's all about, no?
                          ------------------------------------
                          "There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full."
                          --Henry Kissinger--
                          ------------------------------------

Comment

I play nostly vanilla Civ3, but I play an occasionnal AU Mod game. The only Mod I would play would be one that changes as little as possible the game and makes the AI a better challenge, which is exactly what AU mod is trying to do.

--Kon--
                            Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

I like my version better (more units, more techs, more resources, completely different ADM's) but I've been playing vanilla again for a while now in preparation for MP.
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                              X