Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secret Bases (from which to spread chaos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would be X-COM in America. Not too terribly complex, but that's essentially what I asked for, considering it's a strategic game.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Hi,

Secret bases could be a simple terrain improvement, like a hidden airport. They would allow you to host nukes. The base would be invisible to enemy until a ground unit occupies the same square. In case of nuclear attack, you could rippost from these basses. Altough I think that the concept of MAD is a more important to emulate a cold war situation, this concept could also be important (not knowing from where could the enemy launch its missiles).
      This is a concept easy to implement.

About secret 'command centers' allowing you to save the space ship if the capital is conquerred, I think a simple city improvement can handle it. Create in more cities a 'Space command center' and you avoid loosing the ship when a city is occupied. You could only loose it if you lost all your 'Space command centers'.

Regards,
      Remus

P.S. UFO was a GREAT game, I really enjoy it. To bad it did not left any noticeable sequel. Maybe there are people arrounf remmebering ZX's 'Laser Squad'?

Comment

Oh, Yes, it is X-Com in America...
        I love this game really, but of course civ more...

------------------
        ----Mongolia Rules------
        ----Mongolia Rules------

Comment

I don't think that city improvements can solve everything. It would be extreamly expensive to rebuild the command center for the U.S.'s NASA in every American city in North America.

------------------
          "Freedom, Trade, Christantine!"
          "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
          "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
          "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

I had a thread about "Secret Internal Affairs". One of the things I sugested was a similar idea.
            http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum6/HTML/001339.html

I suggest making a special city that cannot grow beyond size 5. Can't build most improvements (bnka, temple etc.)

Here's thoughts about the city:

1. Would it have production? Or would it just be a storage place for nukes and units that cause unhappiness?

2. If it is producing units, would it have unlimited (or increased) support? (if it can't grow beyond size 5 or whatever)

3. Can it have it's own science research? That is, the nation is working on a cure for AIDS, while in Area 51 we're inventing new synthtic killer viruses / weapons / people .

4. How is it discovered? Can it be accidentally discovered by people from your own nation? Just imagine a sneaky reporter finding it's way into Area 51 and publishing it...

Comment

hey, people, react please!
              this is important!

it's a new cool major [insert adjective here] thing for civ 3!

Comment

....mumble schmumble BUMP grumble rumble....

Comment

"If you wanted to launch a nuke at a city of your enemy you would go to your command center popup window(button on interface). In the window you can select the city you want to nuke and the computer will display all nukes that can make it to the city and nukes that can be ordered to explode near the city to further damage it. You can also call up an overview of all of your nukes and what cities each can reach. This will also tell you what military units can make it to the city to capture it. You can also order the command center to launch all nukes at either preset targets or any city they can reach if your command center falls under attack. (Like a Doomsday order). If you chose to do this than any surviving countries will be pretty pissed so it causes diplomatic penalties like every country wanting to destroy you!"

This should definitely be implemented. I always thought it tedious and a little silly to have my nuke "walk" across land/sky whatever to strike its target. The thing that makes nukes so terrifying is their unstoppability (until SDI) and that it only takes minutes to wipe out a city. Besides, how do you know who hit you unless you have global tracking capability. I think that only those nations with some sort of satellite improvement built should be able to recognize where strikes come from.
                  An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile,
                  hoping it will eat him last.
                  Winston Churchill

Comment

I agree that people shouldn't know who nuked them unless they have some sort of tracking system.

However against AI this will be somewhat difficult to implement:

You will see the color of the Nuke unit, or you will see who'se turn is it when you get nuked.

Also, AI will cheat and will always know who nuked it. Ehich is quite annoying.

Comment

I agree that people shouldn't know who nuked them unless they have some sort of tracking system.

However against AI this will be somewhat difficult to implement:

You will see the color of the Nuke unit, or you will see who'se turn is it when you get nuked.

Also, AI will cheat and will always know who nuked it. Which is quite annoying.

Comment

Working...
                      X