• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Ship

Please list your ideas for improving the Civ II spaceship for civ III here

Idea #1
    -Better Graphics.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

I think it should go to Mars instead of Alpha Centauri. Alpha Centauri is a little ridiculous since there is no planet to colonize. Unless they don't colonize a planet, I think they should do Mars first. Maybe some kind of terraforming project could be included.
    Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

Alpha Centauri was for the game- they went to Alpha C system but Chiron the planet.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Cooperatively built spaceships is a must for allies. Like the International Space station, except the one in the game will actually do something.

------------------
        No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
        No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

I still say go to Mars. Whats the point of colonizing a new solar system if you haven't colonized this one to the fullest? And I may be splitting hairs, but there is no real planet in the Alpha Centauri system.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

Don Pedro II, how do you know if there is or isn't a planet in the Alpha Centauri System. The only planets that we can detect are planets aroun 10 times the size of Jupiter. There could be an earth like planet (or even 2) in the ALpha Centauri Sytem and we wouldn't know about it.

------------------
            - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
            Mars Colonizer Mission
            - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
            Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

I would like your space ship to go to mars, and actually go for a reason! When you reach, you can start colonizing it. And then you can start building spaceship transport ships that can transport people imbetween planets.

Comment

I would like the cities had to build a space launch facilities (like NASA Cape Kennedy in Florida or ESA Kourou in French Guyana) before starship parts launch to orbit.

A permanent space station should probably be a pre-requisite, but that should be a simple (still really expensive) project (not many parts assembly like real ISS Alpha or the Starship itself).

I'll like to have to chose form different project in advance (not mid building change of mind from a full beast to the mini version, just to cope with a quick adversary) and an advanced panel that will show the starship parts needed vs. already under costruction, to avoid my usual mess with double production and last minute missing vital parts

About Moon, Mars and asteroids bases, they can be in game but as great projects/wonders, not as an end of CIV 3 game itself. Don't forget an Alpha centauri mission become a need to flee from a Earth in serius trouble (see the SMAC story background).
                Mars is not really an option, a Chiron (AC planet) could be a better hope (then may be not, but you don't know at the time ).

Of course something is missing: none will probably lauch a starship full of people before automatic probe will sent back enough info, but we can't have all right!

------------------
                Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                - Admiral Naismith

Comment

BTW, the space ship should take a Camel with it...

Comment

Sorry, no Camel: only no smoking seat allowed

------------------
                    Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

There is a possiblilty there is a planet in the Alpha Centauri system, we just don't know about it yet.

We can't see planets well.
                      -->Visit CGN!

Comment

i agree with ultrastix - it should be allowd to be a joint venture among several countries. you should either have to build a space stations (orbital) or launch pad - while both would be necessary before space colonizatin, only wone should be implemented in the game. Mars is a good idea, esp. since NASA already has the plans for terraforming it mapped out. - but i you go to mars there would only be a 2 year window from launch to land, so your odds would be grealy reduced in comparision to alpha centuri. so that would kinda take away fromthe game a little.

------------------
                        "Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."
                        -Michael Sinz

Comment

Bump.
                          -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Well, I doubt there is a planet in the AC system because those other planets we discovered were around stars that were MUCH farther out into space. Alpha Centauri is our neighbor and spotting smaller planets would be easier, but since we have no confirmation, I think I'll let that point slide.

And I question the point about AC being used as an evacuation point. The fact is that unless the Sun is blowing up, Mars could be a safe haven too. And even the Sun won't be a threat for another billion years or so. We don't even have the resources to send 100 people to Mars right now let alone send the rest of mankind to Alpha Centauri.

I think Mars, although slightly less ambitious, is a better goal than Alpha Centauri. My problem with the AC project goes back to my trouble with Star Trek. We didn't bother to colonize any of our own planets with convential rockets, we've got the warp drive without any previous deep space experience. Space exploration is a process of evolution not revolution.

Comment

Ahhh, go on then, one more post today lol.

We don't know if there are planets around AC because we can only see the effects of a huge planet, not the planet itself. This is largely irrelevant of the distance from us, up to a point. There could be (and quite probably is) several much smaller planets orbiting it. Nothing to do with Civ, but worth pointing out...
                              "Wise Men Talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something" - Plato

Comment

Working...
                              X