No announcement yet.

How many ways have you won?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't won a cultural victory since moving up from Chieftain (in the long long long ago). Besides, its too unpredictable for my liking and I always play with this one off.

Only won one diplomatic victory (on Regent a few months back). I always keep this one on to stack on the pressure to get the UN built. Then, if I am universally loved (yeah right!), I can hold elections. Otherwise, I can withold them and pursue some other option. Of course, I like to sabotage the other candidate's chances of winning by going to war with them, and signing everyone else into alliance. Since they'll loath the idea of having them in office as secretary general, they'll almost always vote for me.

I mainly win by Space Race, Conquest or Domination (and I'm up to Monarch, and will probably be sticking there). Though I did achieve a Deity conquest once (probably never again though). Always turned on in my games since I feel that these three are the most fulfilling.

And I've never won a Histographic victory (I have the game wrapped up too quickly for that option to be open. The latest ending year I've ever played up to above Warlord is 1953 AD).
    "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
    "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I have won by all means except histographic on monarch level. The few times I win emperor, it's allways by culture. I think my balanced playstyle makes me take early lead but not wipe the AIs out fast enough, leading to a cultural win that sneaks up from behind. I won emperor by spaceship once, but only because cultural win was disabled in the setup.
      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

All except domination. I actually like cultural & diplomatic. Frequently I turn SS off - even back in Civ I days, it seemed like sort of an artificial goal to me.
        "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Comment

Originally posted by tinyp3nis

What do you mean pathetic? That sounds cool

Edit:stupid grammar
          I considered it pathetic because it was luck. It IMO would have been better if I had won culturally or spaceship or histograph. Had I not won diplomatically, I would've lost the game.
          I wish for a custom avatar - it would give me some individuality.
          I am a dissenter of the required first/last name fields.

Comment

Diplo (what a joke) 1 time
            Cultural 1 time
            Conquest 1 time
            Domination 2/3 times
            Spaceship a whole lotta times.

Comment

I've only won in three ways: conquest the most, plus spaceship and diplomatic. The diplomatic victory is a handy one. I use it: a) when I'm bored with the game; or b) when I've fallen behind and don't think I can win any other way. Bit of a cop-out I know, but a hollow victory is better than no victory at all.

Comment

I win by spaceship the most by far, I won by diplo once, and cultural once. The rest are domination. I currently am going for my first conquest win but it is looking ugly. Regent, all other victory conditions turned off, 1110 AD and I and the four other surviving civs (out of 16) are researching future tech! Never 'won' a historical victory but this game may be my first in that department.
                * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Originally posted by The Puny Celt
                  a hollow victory is better than no victory at all.
                  Amen, brotha. If you think you can build the UN, I say leave diplo victory on as a, shall we say, escape clause.

Comment

Spaceship
                    Cultural
                    Conquest
                    Domination
                    Histograph
                    Regicide (Military Win PTW)

BTW the AI doesn't use the king unit very well. I know it was meant for MP but all the AI does in SP is keep it in it's capital, never moving it. I hope this gets changed in the next patch.
                    For your photo needs:
                    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

hi ,

a poll would have been nice

well after a while with some strategy you can get all the ways , then it just depends on what level you can repeat it , ....

have a nice day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Spaceship, Culture, Diplomatic, Domination, City Culture, Conquest, Histographic and "Incidental." Each victory condition has its own challenges.

Comment

everything except total cultural (not city culture). i don't like maps larger than standard so it's difficult to get enough improvements and wonders in time. either my empire is too small or i win another way before...
                          - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                          - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachriel
                            "Incidental."
                            what's that?

Comment

Originally posted by sabrewolf

what's that?
                              The "Incidental Victory" was from Shaka's Fist.

I don't play to win in the sense of making the best score. I play to make the best civilization regardless of score or victory condition. Shaka Dominated because that was how it went. It's history now.

(Incidentally, Shaka won the game in question when a culture boundary expanded, resulting in a domination victory, but it's a relatively unimportant detail in the history of Zululand.)

Comment

oh yes... your gotm-stories. always very amusing

looking forward for your gotm13 report

Comment

Working...
                                X