X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theseus
    Sheesh... you are unreal.

/Backgammon

"You got double sixes to end the game!! That's crazy!! The odds are waaay out of whack!! I can't believe this 4X rule anyway! STUPID STUPID STUPID.

/end Backgammon

Relax.
    LMAO that's the funniest post I've seen in awhile.

Comment

Coracle, that has nothing to do with what this thread is about. Why be a jerk to the guy who started it? Converse with people instead, it's nice.

Question: someone mentioned "protectorates" from SMAC. I played that game a fair bit, and I don't know what that is. Little help, anyone?

I agree that taking down the capital should be more damaging. The problem is that corruption is tied to distance from the palace. With no palace, would all cities be totally corrupt? How would you build a new palace? The best idea I saw, and most easily implemented (heck, it could probably be done in a patch, though I'm not holding my breath), is a few turns of anarchy after the capital's fall, followed by a new government with a new palace. Of course, during this time all military units would still be functional, and quite hostile to the invaders.

A side bit of pedantry: people, it's CAPITAL. A capital is a city that contains the center of governmental power, like Washington DC. The capitol (with OL) is a building where the United States Congress assembles to make law.

Last bit: what I really miss from SMAC is the diplomacy option "please call off your vendetta against...." Why shouldn't I be able to sue for peace on behalf of another nation? As things stand now, the only way to sometimes save small guys from extinction is to declare war on all theri attackers and fight a tactically difficult campaign on foreign soil, without the benefit of cities for healing units. Maybe such a dialogue option shouldn't always be there, it could be made available upon completion of the United Nations or something. But I think it's a serious ommission.

Comment

Originally posted by MiloMilo
        Last bit: what I really miss from SMAC is the diplomacy option "please call off your vendetta against...." Why shouldn't I be able to sue for peace on behalf of another nation? As things stand now, the only way to sometimes save small guys from extinction is to declare war on all theri attackers and fight a tactically difficult campaign on foreign soil, without the benefit of cities for healing units. Maybe such a dialogue option shouldn't always be there, it could be made available upon completion of the United Nations or something. But I think it's a serious ommission.
        Yeah I just rehashed this and other diplomatic/U.N. discussion in a PTW thread (entitled 'A couple random thoughts I had'). Some diplomatic work needs to be done to the game in an XP.

Comment

It's true, losing the capitol should have dire consequences. Maybe not losing the war, but it should really hurt a civ.

For the Americans on the board: can you remember the budget gridlock years ago where the government pretty much shut down? Or the economic effect the terrorist attacks had? Imagine if Washington DC was occupied by a hostile power. Say goodbye to a lot of gov services. No more Social Security for the elderly. The Pentagon, gone- no more central command structure for the military. The FBI and countless other agencies, total dissarray.

If the Civ in question in the game is not despotically ruled, then civil war wouldn't occur but a certain degree of anarchy would.

Comment

I'm actually in favor of civil wars and bad stuff happening when you lose your capitol, but I can think of an example where niether of those things happened.

When the British marched into Washington in 1812 and burned down the whitehouse ect, it had very little impact of the war itself, if I recall correctly.

Maybe you should only be penelized if your capitol has important buildings, or something?

Comment

Actually, to use a CivIII analogy, you could say that a Civil War did not occur with the capture of Washington in 1812, because the nation was very small-i.e. low corruption and probably high happiness .
              If it were to happen again in 2002-03, then it would probably result in either anarchy OR Civil War!

Yours,
              The_Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

I really think the importance of modern capitals is exagerated. Nowadays, capitals could be moved. The capital is where the direction is...

New York beeiong taken would have a huge impact as much as Washington I would guess. Moral is what counts in all this, since the administration doesn't stop when the capital is taken.
                Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Working...
                X