Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have any misgivings about attacking/destroying your Real Life civilisation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, my informal poll has gone pretty much the way I should have expected: cold, ruthless practicality the clear winner over sentimentality!

Comment

You can't be sentimental if you want to rule the world...
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I don't have PtW, but I would not be a sentimental nationalist if I had it. The Viking pagans would be sent to Valhall by my mighty armies any time I played another tribe.

So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by wilbill
          None at all. It IS a game, after all.

I just picture George W. instead of Abe and it's surprisingly easy to put Atlanta to the torch. William Tecumseh Sherman was a great role model.
          First of all, Sherman is a wretched role model for anything but civ3 warmonger play, and even then, razing cities causes WW under enlightened governments.

Second, you do realize that W. is a Yankee, right?
          They are from Kennebunkport, Maine, not Texas.

He carpetbagged his way to a failed career as an "oilman" (hah!) on his daddy's gold card.

Every time someone calls him a Texan, I shudder.
          He's as much a Texan as Hillary Clinton is a New Yorker.

Now, to the original question, I like roleplaying my games as much as the next guy, but if you are having this sort of issue, it might be time to go outside - you know, sunlight, fresh air, birds, trees - until you remember it's just a game.

I mean really - if you have that sort of hang-up, you should either only play your real life civ, or seek help like vmxa1 said.
          "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

I actually get some great satisfaction in burning, say, Portland to the ground. Or Las Vegas. So I don't mind. It's probably even better so I don't have to garrison it like hell and risk the AI coming back and seizing it from me again. And cause I was so mad at Abe for having his MPP dragging me into a war against him that I was glad to burn his cities.
            I wish for a custom avatar - it would give me some individuality.
            I am a dissenter of the required first/last name fields.

Comment

No

I completely annhilated the Americans once or twice. If they have the misfortune of starting next to me they die. that used to happen all the time when I played with culturally linked starting positions and I played my former favourite civ the Aztecs. But now I play Japan and the Celts.

Comment

No problems here with destroying any civ in my way, but I play America more than any of the other civ's combined so I rarely have to destroy my "countrymen".
                * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

ducki,

I don't think we disagree on anything. Sorry if I mixed my metaphors (or whatever they were). I was just saying that I have fewer qualms launching war against G.W.B's America than against Lincoln's America. Regardless of whether W's from Texas or Maine.

Since the thread is "Do you have any misgivings about attacking/destroying your Real Life civilisation? " I think Sherman's a pretty good role model. I do find him less distasteful than other possibilities - Stalin, Saddam, Pol Pot, Idi Ammin, for example. Didn't mean to refight the Civil War.

It IS a game, after all.
                  "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Comment

When it's England, I don't really thinnk about it! Actually, I forget! War in civ3 is a bit harder though, in civ2 they didn't give you a smile, or even call you by name. In civ3, they're nicer. I feel so sad about declaring war on some civs that're nice to me, that I ally with them and keep them safe! I just can't bear seeing them look at me in anger!
                    James Dean Shepherd
                    Jesus lives! :)
                    ----------------------------

Comment

No. America deserves a good beat down.

Comment

I usually play AS my real life civ ...'cept on the old world maps where starting on a tiny island is a very bad thing Then i play as the russians.

Comment

JamesDS:

You need help or better yet a good AI ROP rape. Do me (and yourself) a favor, play a game where Persia is on your continent, make sure they have access to iron and you do not. Then sign a ROP and watch what happens. This will cure you of any compunction of helping out those poor, evil, lying, nasty, SOB's.
                          * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                          * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                          * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                          * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

America always seems to be exceptionally weak in the games I play, so I usually throw some techs/resoures at them to try and prop them up. Didn't matter in my current game; the Mongols still wiped them out.

However, were the Americans my neighbors I would have done the wiping out without the slightest twinge of guilt.
                            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

doesn't bother me
                              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

When I encounter Magyar barbarians I try to give them techs and a city or two, but for some unknown and unexplained reason it doesn't work
                                "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                                --George Bernard Shaw
                                A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                                --Woody Allen

Comment

Working...
                                X