Does Disband = Kill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Disband = Kill?

My poor early units used to be allowed to hand in their weapons to be beaten into shield plowshares and to retire gracefully into whatever occupation they wanted.

Now, they die an ugly death that causes my wife to ask why I executed that guy

Cleverly, I moved to the F3 screen to disband them there where I didn't half to watch. It was like hearing torture in the neighboring dungeon as they cried out in agony.

Am I missing the point or is this an unfortunate PTW change??
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

A very unfortunate one. I hated this feature in CtP2 and was glad it was not in Civ3. Now I have it back. Oh well, there's a workarond. Switch your screen temporary off and mute your speakers .

Comment

What do you mean? What happens if you disband a unit when playing PTW?

So long...
      Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
      Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
      Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

It groans with pain as if it's slaughtered in an atrocious way.

Comment

Just start a war with someone and send your obsolete units in first. At least that way they'll "retire" honorably on the field of battle.
          Some people say that today is the first day of the rest of your life. That's true, for every day but one: the day you die.

Comment

@Berduin;

If you do this under republic or democracy, it will add to war weariness.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Also, you won't get the free shields.
              "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

I think he was joking...

Comment

How can one joke about something as serious as this, Joseph Stalin would of known how to sort this out.
                  A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by candybo
                    I think he was joking...
                    Congratulations, you win a cookie.
                    Some people say that today is the first day of the rest of your life. That's true, for every day but one: the day you die.

Comment

I wasn't commenting on the starting a war comment, I did realise he was joking

I was just mentioning the fact that using units as canon-fodder is not a very good idea.
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                        It groans with pain as if it's slaughtered in an atrocious way.
                        Isn't that sick? I always saw the disband command as a retirement command:

"Go on now, retire. Have no worries we'll take care of you for the rest of your natural life as you have done before for others."

So long....
                        Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                        Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                        Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

There is no need for senseless torture & killing. I always saw disband into shields just as it appears...

"We need something to help fill up the foundation for this new university & since your services are no longer required your body will do just fine."

Seriously, they should have kept the yelling & screaming for the more "use your whip" governments.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrodrew
                            There is no need for senseless torture & killing. I always saw disband into shields just as it appears...

"We need something to help fill up the foundation for this new university & since your services are no longer required your body will do just fine."

Seriously, they should have kept the yelling & screaming for the more "use your whip" governments.
                            That's how I use most of my slaves after the railroads are done: Landfill in the construction of city improvements.
                            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

You get, what, whole two shields from a worker? You need hordes of them... Then again, after millenia of razing wars, you might have hordes!

How much production would one need to "turn" conscript mech into vet in one turn? (draft, disband in building city, so it is finished in one turn)
                              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                              X