Backup Copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Copy

I'm trying to make a backup copy of my Civ 3. But, for some reason, even though the copying process runs perfectly (using clone CD) on a bran New dell, I cannot get the backup copy to play. It does enter the initial options screen (ie play it, view readme etc) but never actually enters the game. Any Idea as to how I can get it to work? I know that my computer is fine. I've even tried copying the game to high and low quality CD-r's as well as a good quality CDRW but it just wont work.

-Thanks

Yeah, but I do not want to get into troube. Goto the support sites for clonecd. The virtual cd software sites also have that type of info.

Comment

The anti-piracy protection of the game is precisely aimed at preventing cloning of the CD, that's why you can't do a backup copy.
      (and yes, AFAIK it's an infringement of your consumer's rights)
      Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

Newer copy protection are very tricky to deal with. I doubt you'll ever get it to work with current CDR technology. (Now if only they'd figure out a good way to prevent warez)

Comment

Yes, not all burners are capable of making a backup copy with some games protections. Did you check on the clonecd site to make sure your burner was supported and was able to burn exact copys? Copy protection is worthless, just hurts the people who buy the game.
          "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

IIRC the key is if your device can handle RAW or not. Anyway it is easy to get the copy to finish, but that does not mean it will work. Some will even let you install from them, but not play. Depends on the protection scheme and the method of the copy. Legally you are suppose to be able to make copies of things you own for your use only. The new laws may put that in conflict.

Comment

New laws?

In England the law still protect the consumers righs to create backup copies. Which is as you say, not possible. My issue is that fine if you can store the cd away after installation, but when you need to keep it out every time you play the game, the chances are it will get damaged at some point.
              The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

It's easy. Just download a no-cd crack.

You install it and you replace the .exe

Comment

I was refering to the new millenium law. I am not well versed in, but it has some conflicting point that could over ride the ruling that had determined we were entitled to make copies of things were owned. That law has been interrupted to say that is no longer so. I am not sure of the finally disposition and no I am not a lawyer.

Comment

WTF!!!
                    copy protection?!!??!?! No fair man.
                    Damage to my Cd is precisely why I want a backup. I bought the information for 45 cdn dollars. Why the hell should I have to buy it again if my cd gets a scratch on it or something?? I constantly resist the temptation to buy anything illegal and this is how I get rewarded I guess thats what you get for believing in the goodness of mankind. Just like trusting Ghandi or the Japanese. THey'll screw you every time.

Either way, thanks for all the replies. I will try to go to cloneCD.com or download the no CD crack as Raiche23 has brilliantly recommended. They can take away my dignity, but they can't take away my freedom!! (or something like that)

Comment

Well the laws I mentioned do not pertain to you anyway as they are US laws. BTW they will replace any defective disk. I was using a no cd app, but it required you to have a full copy of the cd on disk and that got to be a huge drain of space.

Comment

im suprised someone from Firaxis hasnt got in touch with with Apolyton to close this thread yet
                        Oxygen should be considered a drug
                        Tiberian Sun Retro
                        My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
                        http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

We have skirted the edges.

Comment

I have backed up my CD and I had no technical problems doing so. I never really read t hrough the EULAs and stuff but I thought that one is entitled to make a back up copy of his/her Game. Now did I do something illegal?! I thought that these CD cracks and stuff were illegal.

Now could somebody enlighten me?

So long...
                            Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                            Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                            Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Well Im not German, but in the UK you can use any means for creating a "personal backup"

I seem to remember SMAC not needing a cd, wonder why they do now, or perhaps its the publisher that insists on these things.
                              The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

Working...
                              X