No announcement yet.

Tutorial - How to add a custom unit with PTW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erm i was wondering how i used the terrain graphics with PTW. You see I'm making a small scenario with map and i wanted to use the Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain because i think it looks more like the old colonization style maps so if any one could tell me i would be very greatful
    I am Pharaoh of all Egypt bow down to me or feel my wrath!

Comment

Bump for Kramerman's benefit.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I'm almost positive you would do it in the same manner as with units (i.e. place the appropriate files in your mod's directory). If you see how PTW installed the warpstorm graphics in your computer, look at its directory structure and copy that same structure and files to your mod's directory.

mine is

\Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain\art\
        ||
        under \art\ there are two subdirectories \cities\ and \terrain\ and a resources.pcx. if you see what I'm talking about you're in the right area.

Now just move the art subdirectory to your mod's directory, and you should be right (as long as you set the scenario properties to point to your mod's directory.

Comment

Thanks Boris and isak. This cleared up several questions that I had. This was really helpful!
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

This is a really helpful thread. I just wanted to post so so I'm subscribed and privvy to new messages posted here.

Now that y'all have cleared up for us simpletons how to "install" new units, how about how to MAKE them?

I refer to the drawing/animation process. I don't have to buy some animation software, do I?
            You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

Don't ask me about drawing/animating units... I know nothingk!
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

@Yahweh:

You don't need any software that you have to pay for. Go look for the program 'Flicster' in the files section here on the board. With that, 'all' (as if it was easy ) you need to do is be able to edit static PCX files, and you can use Flicster to 'collect' them into FLC animation files. If you have a program like Animation Shop (comes with Paint Shop Pro) I've heard it should be helpful too, but it's not necessary.

For details on what to do, I guess it's better to ask in the Flicster thread - i'm not exactly a wizard with animations either

@Boris

"NO, Manuél - tell her where I got the money from...."
                Double Your Pleasure mod | DYP Forums | DYP Mod thread

Comment

Thanks for the reply... do you know if you can make .PCX files with CorelDraw?

Comment

Yahweh :
                    I don't know for Corel draw, but I use Paint shop pro when I goof around with units. You can download the fully-functional 30 day trial here
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Thank you for the link.

Comment

Hi!

I am trying to add a unit named "F-14D Tomcat"... the folder and .ini file are named the same way. Will the space be a problem? What necessary steps do I have to take? Thanks!

Comment

You rock snoopy! I only use your tile set for SP games. Can't wait to see what you can do with those ugly mines.

Comment

Working...
                          X