average game length/duration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• average game length/duration?

Hey all... great site, great forum, lots of info...

I'm a newb to CivIII, played a few games of Civ on my 486 back in the day, but nothing serious.

I was just curious, because games seem to be taking forever. I've never actually finished a game, I'm always starting over because I'm a newbie and constantly learning new tricks. Anyways.. back to my point... how long is your average game? How many hours/days/weeks do you spend on one game?

Thanks,

Brightblade
    "Now comes the part where I relieve you, the little people, of the burden of your failed and useless lives. But remember, as my plastic surgeon always said: if you gotta go, go with a smile."

1st answer: Too many.

2nd answer: 5-30 hours per game (?).

3rd answer: Distracted by Apolyton.

4th answer: Not enough.

Keep doing what you're doing... learning the early game is key.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

now with PTW, you know exactly how long your game took!

I think my last victory was around 9 hours.
      It was too early, via culture, I was in the process of softening up a continent for invasion.

My shortest game was 3 min 20 sec. elimination loss

Comment

I think I will just echo.

Comment

@vxma1: You should be on the Firaxis payroll.

BTW, have we determined who were the PTW playtesters?
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
            @vxma1: You should be on the Firaxis payroll.

BTW, have we determined who were the PTW playtesters?
            I know of at least three.....but they are pretty obvious...

Comment

I usually start a game and end up finishing it 2-3 weeks later. That's playing an hour or two every now and then while trying not to get 'absorbed' into it like I tend to do. I set a timer and play for an hour, then I have to be productive for an hour (produce real life shields!) before I can play again. I would agree with Theseus: most games for me run a total of about 30 hours. But I usually play the HUGE world with max civs on diety, so it takes a lot more effort/time/thinking during the game.

-Apolex

Comment

I often play a game quite often until I get to the modern era when I'm having to deal with worrying about hundreds of cavalry/tanks or modern armour on attack and infantry/MIs on defence. When I get to that point I normally take a break then find when I come back I can't handle the hassle of dealing with it all for more than a turn or two before I quit the game again. Which normally results in me never finishing most games before starting again.

Comment

Ok a serious answer. I would say a std map with dominate and conquest takes 35 hrs. At times I will play from the time I get up till I go to bed and finish in two days, depending on distractions. Larger maps will elongate that and additional victory conditions will shorten it. Lately I have been less inclined to play straight through and will jump to other games. I tend to finish games, except for the first few days of PTW. For it I wanted to look at the different civs and played the first age only.

Comment

As I always play on huge maps, my average must be 60 hours.

Even then I have a lot of open games where I am the virtual winner but where the AI has not yet declared me the winner.
                    Last edited by georges bonbon; November 8, 2002, 11:05.

Comment

I'm actually playing my first emperor game tonight (this morning? ) I started at like 4 this afternoon and just stopped at 4:13 AM because my fiance came and yelled at me to go to sleep. So that's 12 hours right there. I'm in mid=1700s, I've wiped out everyone but the frech, (who are currently building the last 2 available wonders) and I'm gearing up to teach them a lesson. However, depending on how patient I am, these late wars can take several hours themselves. I would say an average of ~ 16 hours for a solid game.

Lateralis

BTW, it's been my experience that a builder style game can go WWAAAYYYY faster than a heavy warmongering game. Less time spend strategizing the movement of hundreds of chess pieces.
                      "As far as I'm concerned, humans have yet to come up with a belief worth believing." --George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus

Keep doing what you're doing... learning the early game is key.

Like vmxa1 I'm on that train.

Comment

I seem to be the odd one out. I take 50+ hours per game.

I suppose I'm too much of a control freak...

Comment

Huge maps: more than 30 hours, easily.

Small maps: 7-8 hours average.

Wife at home: 25 minutes, then she noticed what I was doing.
                            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Hm, I bought the game in february(?) and I am playing my 7th og 8th game now. Spend 10-40 hours on each. I've won only once, most of the time I get bored when I'm know I'm winning anyway.

Got a new girlfriend in march, if it weren't for her I would have played 3-5times more.
                              Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Working...
                              X