Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can a unit be beaten like this??? Defence = useless???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by statusperfect
    That's a purely psychological effect.
    This is a little OT (my post) but I usually have a chant to win battles. While they're fighting I yell "KILL [enemy unit]!" over and over. It works relatively well, but this is probably a psychological effect as well.

"KILL SPEARMAN! KILL SPEARMAN! KILL IT!"

It doesn't affect the game in any way but I like to think it does, haha.

Once an enemy spearman held back hordes, literal hordes, of my archers. It's a 50/50 or so win, right? And it did get down to where they were the last HP and then my HP meter fell like a lead weight...
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

[SIZE=1]Once an enemy spearman held back hordes, literal hordes, of my archers. It's a 50/50 or so win, right? And it did get down to where they were the last HP and then my HP meter fell like a lead weight...
      No. Even defending units on open ground (plains, etc.) get at least a 10% defense bonus. Your archer is slightly more likely to lose.
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

What i like is the odds really do even out over a repeated number of similiar occurances.

So, for example, if you attack with a modern tank (without any softening up)against infantry in a city over 7 (esp in 20+) you will always loose your first unit and the defender will usually take no damage. But this guarantees the next unit WILL be successful. So you can predict exactly what you will need each time if you ar ein a rush and can't afford to move in artillary or relocate air resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Redstar
          What i like is the odds really do even out over a repeated number of similiar occurances.

So, for example, if you attack with a modern tank (without any softening up)against infantry in a city over 7 (esp in 20+) you will always loose your first unit and the defender will usually take no damage. But this guarantees the next unit WILL be successful. So you can predict exactly what you will need each time if you ar ein a rush and can't afford to move in artillary or relocate air resources.
          Sorry, Redstar, this is completely wrong (at least if you are speaking of Civ3). The random numbers even out only within large sets. You can lose twenty MAs to that infantry in a row... do NOT rely on this! ...or, get ready for a surprise...

In fact, for every single battle, there is a given probability of victory/defeat. It is the same every time and is NOT related in any way to previous or later battles. The more battles you fight, the closer the total number of actual victories/defeats will be to the theoretically expected number. But that's it... the actual order of victories and defeats is... well, yes... RANDOM. You NEVER know for sure what is coming...

Comment

Without a large sample of say 10,000,00, I would be reluctant to pin any convictions on the out come. A sample of a few dozen is meaningless. The standard deviation could account for it.

Comment

If I win, good. If I lose, that's ok, it's part of the game. It's as simple as this.
              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Even more OT but I have the feeling that fast-moving elite units actually have a LARGER cange of dying under an attack than vet units.

Maybe they are so determined to win that they will keep on fighting(and dying) when they are supposed to retreat?
                Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by bongo
                  Maybe they are so determined to win that they will keep on fighting(and dying) when they are supposed to retreat?
                  "retreat! retreat!"

crash! bang! pow!

"I'm an elite warrior! I'll never retreat! Bravery and honor are m..." sctrosh! (sound of an axe braking his neck in two parts)
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Crostoneman
                    Cleopatra and her Egypt
                    Romans and their Rome
                    Napolean and his Waterloo
                    German and their West Front
                    German and their Stalingrad
                    Japan and their Midway
                    U.S.A. and their Siagon

How many times did they reload their games because their superior forces were defeated by a lone tank sqaud in the yellows?
                    They didn't reload because they could not. If they had had the chance, guess what they would have done?

"KILL SPEARMAN! KILL SPEARMAN! KILL IT!"
                    LOL

Comment

If they had had the chance, guess what they would have done?
                      Is this anyway correct english?

Comment

Surprisingly, it is.
                        Lime roots and treachery!
                        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Working...
                        X