Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can a unit be beaten like this??? Defence = useless???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can a unit be beaten like this??? Defence = useless???

Okay I had 1 Mech Infantry in a Fortress on a mountain. This would have his defence pretty high. Then a single tank attacked and died without any HP loss off my tank. Then 2 turns later another tank(modern) attacks and my unit gets killed and he only gets to yellow????

How the hell does that happen???? It happen 3 times after that! There was no radar near and he was on plain type terrain!!

Why is it even defence units seem pathetic against some SUPER tanks that cant be stopped!

You do not mention what ranks the units involved were... but anyway, here is what Civulator says:

vet MA vs. vet MI -> 16,3%
    eli MA vs. vet MI -> 24,5%
    eli MA vs. eli MI ->13,5%

The percentage says what the probability of an enemy MA killing your MI defending a mountain fortress is. Even though the odds were definitely in your favour, it does not seem to me that getting results you got would be a reason to start a thread about it...

The Civ3 combat system is based upon PROBABILITY. There is nothing you can take for granted...

Comment

Hey, your men fought bravely and even inflicted damage to the enemy! Be proud of them!
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Is it really based on probability? cause if u save, attack and then load and attack the same thing again (exact replication, no skipping or coming back to), you will see the exact same results. Probability would dictacte if i did the same move a number of times, i would see a win/loss pattern appear.... not so. and you can try this (it will prove a point).

I had an enemy ironclad on yellow sink my elite battleship on full HP. wtf? i reloaded and the exact same result, a couple more tries later i came to the conclusion that the battle is PRE-DETERMINED somehow. So i move some other units, and get back to my battleship later to have it sink the ironclad wihtout damage. SO for the cheaters out there, if you lose a unit, reload, skip the unit and move the other units before coming back to that unit. Probability? maybe, pre-determined definitely.
        Have Banks, Build Tanks

Comment

OMG.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

RTFM

The random seed is preserved at the beginning of each turn.

you can turn this off when selecting game parameters

This is to prevent reloaders

Comment

Originally posted by Pulsatingpecs
              Is it really based on probability? cause if u save, attack and then load and attack the same thing again (exact replication, no skipping or coming back to), you will see the exact same results. Probability would dictacte if i did the same move a number of times, i would see a win/loss pattern appear.... not so. and you can try this (it will prove a point).
              You would have to uncheck the "Preserve Random Seed" option in the Player Setup Screen. The "seed" is a number that's used to initialize the random number generator used by the game. Saving it helps prevent cheating a bit (you get the same results if repeating everything in exactly the same way; no reloading will change the outcome of your battle...).

Computers are ultimately unable to generate truly random numbers. The best they can do is to generate numbers that look like if they were random. The random number generator (RNG) is a function that takes one number, does some weird things with it (like adding this, multiplying by that, shifting by... etc.), and spits out another number (a "new random number"). The "weird" process is actually tuned up in such a way that humans are unable to differentiate between truly random numbers and numbers generated by the computer RNG.

That said, if you initialize the RNG with a given number (that is the "seed" stored in the savegame file), you will always get the same "new" random number and thus, your battle will end up in just the same way. However, if you rearrange your actions so that a particular "random" number (which causes your BS to be sunk by an enemy destroyer) is used by some other random-based decision (like goody hut, e.g.), your BS vs. DS battle will proceed differently then.

If you uncheck the "Preserve Random Seed" option, you will be able to cheat by reloading just as in Civ2.

When I say the combat system is based on probability, I mean that when two units conduct a fight, there is a certain probability that one will win over the other (see the Civulator). If you conduct 10,000 battles of swordsmen vs. spearmen in the open grassland throughout your game, the swordsmen will win in 6643 cases plus minus something very small. The higher the number of battles, the closer you will get to the theoretically expected result (=the less important those few odd results that do not exactly fit the theory are).

EDIT: this applies to veteran swordsmen fighting veteran spearmen.

So, if your vet MI was defending the mountain fortress against an elite MA of your enemy, the odds were about 3:1 (75%) in its favour. If you repeated this battle 100 times, something like 75 of them would end up with the MA being killed (beware of the preserve random seed problem if you decide to check for yourself - turn it OFF to get the desired result).
              Last edited by vondrack; November 6, 2002, 16:30.

Comment

The only qualms I have with the battle engine is its 'streakiness'... You lose 3 HP then he loses 3 HP, then you lose 4 HP and then he loses 2 HP...

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                  The only qualms I have with the battle engine is its 'streakiness'... You lose 3 HP then he loses 3 HP, then you lose 4 HP and then he loses 2 HP...
                  And it seems like that the last hp is hard to take out. I knock something down to one, then I lose round after round.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

And it seems like that the last hp is hard to take out. I knock something down to one, then I lose round after round.
                    That's a purely psychological effect. You get annoyed each time it happens and remember those times. You don't remember all of the times it doesnt happen.

Comment

Freeciv has a similar mechanism, possible more refined than the one in civ 3. To see how this is done in code see the freeciv source.

There were some discussion at one point about how the random generator was 'streaky', and that was solved by tweaking it.
                      http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by statusperfect

That's a purely psychological effect. You get annoyed each time it happens and remember those times. You don't remember all of the times it doesnt happen.
                        Is it purely pschological? I'm not sure. I will play attention to the next game I play to completion.

Comment

Part and parcel of a good PRNG is getting occasional occurrences of apparently non-random behavior. Not streaky enough is equally as improbable as too streaky.

Comment

Cleopatra and her Egypt
                            Romans and their Rome
                            Napolean and his Waterloo
                            German and their West Front
                            German and their Stalingrad
                            Japan and their Midway
                            U.S.A. and their Siagon

How many times did they reload their games because their superior forces were defeated by a lone tank sqaud in the yellows?

Comment

Originally posted by Crostoneman
                              Cleopatra and her Egypt
                              Romans and their Rome
                              Napolean and his Waterloo
                              German and their West Front
                              German and their Stalingrad
                              Japan and their Midway
                              U.S.A. and their Siagon

How many times did they reload their games because their superior forces were defeated by a lone tank sqaud in the yellows?
                              hmm that would be real life. what people are talking about is a game. duh! reality is often unfair and unfun, a game is designed to be fun for the player. if a game is too unfair and unfun for that player then it has failed. if that someone wants to reload to keep it fun, then so be it. it's their time they are using for fun purposes, personally I think that telling someone else how to have fun kind of defeats the point...

YOU VIL PLAY THE GAME THIS WAY! YOU VIL HAVE FUN! YOU VIL NOT DO ZAT OR VOR YOU ZE PARTY IS OVER!

ouch the nazi game police is on the case.

back to the topic, I find that the streakiness factor probably is more psychological than real. it does annoy the bejeesus out of me when a "certain win" attack/defence either loses or even more annoyingly loses with no damage caused to the opposition. I suspect that I do ignore the results that happen in my favour in order to concentrate on the "bloody lucky computer" results.

just had the game crash out to desktop for me once and had to deal with all four neighbouring civs combining to keep me at war with at least two of them simultaneously for the last 100 turns or so. which has left me rushing troops to beat off the enemy when it "manages" to find the weak spot in my lines each time they go on the offensive. you'll forgive me when i call the game a (&*^*&%^*^%&

Comment

Working...
                              X