Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ3(PTW) dying off already? Or in for the long run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Empire Earth is a good RTS, IMO. It has elements of civ in it, actually.
    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
    -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

There are lots of good rts games, I just can't find time to try them all, even some that I already own. Age of Mythology is another that I may like, but will never get to.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
        What would take Civ3's place at the head of Apolyton?
        I can't think of a single game that I would consider worthy of being the 'flagship' title except Civ IV, especially when Apolyton is a Civ site first and a Civ-like games site second. Civ III will sit at the top even if a secretly developed CtP3 turned out to be the best TBS ever

I have high hopes for MOO3. For those who like earth games over space games, Paradox are steadily working on releasing EU2 style games for many time periods. Hearts of Iron is starting to beat out MOO3 as my most hotly anticipated game to be playing over Christmas, with Crusaders being one of two games I'm looking forward to next year.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Trip

Aren't there enough crappy RTS games out as it is?
          Have you ever played X-Com Apocalypse.

This is the only RTS ever devised that truely uses any form of strategy - mainly because of its TBS roots.

So yes, there are enough crappy RTS games, and only one really good one.

Viva Xcom

Anyone remember the CIV2 xcom scenario?
          The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

Shogun Total War is the only RTS I've ever played with deep tactics in it (not that I didn't enjoy AOK like clickfests). I've yet to see a more acute game than Shogun.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer

Anyone remember the CIV2 xcom scenario?
              Yes and the Moo one.

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer Have you ever played X-Com Apocalypse.

This is the only RTS ever devised that truely uses any form of strategy - mainly because of its TBS roots.

So yes, there are enough crappy RTS games, and only one really good one.
                There was a toggle to turn it RTS? I did all the fights turn based
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

just curious but what exactly would you people consider LotR 2? I mean it had RTS and TBS parts (though you could skip the RTS parts so maybe it's obvious).

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold

There was a toggle to turn it RTS? I did all the fights turn based
                    I played it turn based in the first fight (I dreaded the thought of real time) and after about two hours I figured that perhaps real time was better after all. I was pleasantly surprised.

In fact Terror from the Deep could have done with this as I despised having to search every room in the cruise ship terror attacks as it took so bloody long, and you ended up having to do it every month.
                    The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

Originally posted by Cidifer
                      just curious but what exactly would you people consider LotR 2? I mean it had RTS and TBS parts (though you could skip the RTS parts so maybe it's obvious).
                      Actually Lords of the Realm 2 was pretty good fun for a while, unfortunately the AI was a bit daft in the RTS bits. All you needed was a bridge guarded by 10 knights, and hundreds of archers the outher side.

This is one game that made good use of the resources system though.

Turn based in my opinion (to answer your question).

Comment

Working...
                      X