Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firaxis (Soren): What's Up With F11 Screen Military Service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firaxis (Soren): What's Up With F11 Screen Military Service?

In my current game it says 16th (there are only 15 players... guess the Barbarians have me beat), yet the military advisor says I have a strong military compared to my neighbors. What gives?

Would that be 15 players "+" you?

Comment

Isn't military service merely a ratio of citizens to units? or something similar?

I know at the end of the game when I have 500 units but 500mil people, i am always dead last in that category.

Comment

It's there to make you scratch your head as you play.
        It's psych!

Comment

Yeah, I would think it would be units/population.
          "God is dead." - Nietzsche
          "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

But I have the strongest military, and a moderate-high population.

Comment

My guess would be that since the AI starts with military units this gives them an edge on the "military service" time right from the start.

Comment

Having a higher tech military than your opponents will also contribute to the military advisors definition of 'strong', yet it does not affect military service. That might be one reason why this is occuring.

BTW, how high are you on the population demographic?

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                  But I have the strongest military, and a moderate-high population.
                  yeah, but the ai often has size 30 and higher cities,
                  maybe 1 size 30 is more pop. then 3 size 10 cities?

maybe he has a 100 warriors while you have 10 tanks?
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Yes.
                    Each population point is 10 000 for the first, then 20 000 for the second, then 30 000 for the third and so on.

So three size 10 city are 550 000 x 3 = 1 650 000 inhabitants, while a size 30 is 4 650 000 inhabitants large.
                    Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by alva848

maybe he has a 100 warriors while you have 10 tanks?
                      It's possible, I suppose, but it was still rather early in the game (mid-late Middle Ages), and I had maxed out or gotten very near to it in most of my cities, while the AI usually had city sizes 5 or 7 or rarely above 10. The point you made about the 100 warriors VS 10 tanks is probably the main reason (or Spearmen VS Cavalry ) that things were turning up the way they did. It still seems odd though, since no matter how big or how many cities I have, I'm still always 15th or 16th.

Comment

Don't forget the AI defends each city with a least 2 units(st*ppid bugger), something most of us don't really do ).
                        These alone can easely account for 50-60 units.

(might have to change our tactics with that viking unit though )
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

You guys don't defend with at least 2 units? As things go on I get 3 defenders, then Knights/Calvary/Tanks to stop invasions, have them stationed in my border/coastal citys. I've only had 1st in service a couple times, usually early on i'm in the top 5, then as AI pop and military grows I slide to 5-10. But since I usually keep a large military I stay there. Right now my military consists of 60 Musketmen,(20 citys, 3 per city), and 24 Calvary(3 Calvary in 8 of my border/coastal citys. It was just 4 in 6 border citys but another civ not on my cont declared war on me, so i've got to guard my border a bit better.
                          "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

I usually have like a single warrior or a single a swordsman in all my coastal cities to scare off the AI during all of the game. My frontier cities would have all my military if my relationship to the other civ is very tense, otherwise just one of the best defensive units I can afford.
                            I always have no units at all in the cities that do not have direct access to the coast.

And no, I don't play MP like that (actually I don't play MP at all)
                            "Cogito Ergo Sum" - Rene Descartes, French Mathematician

Comment

Seems like it would depend on the game, What level, what is my current form of gov? Who are my neighbors, if any. Where am I in the game, am I in ancient time or what. By and large I keep my interior cities lightly defended (1 unit, often my oldest). My cities that are exposed (can be reached in two turns) with more and better units for the era and border cities with the rest. If at war then things will change a bit. If my neighbors are weak or strong, I may adjust. Do they have 1 move units or 2 or 3? Do I have roads all the way, railroads?

Comment

Working...
                              X