Question about conquest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about conquest

I have never been able to win via conquest. It always turns out to be domination. Logicly I do not see how you can ever win via conquest as domination will happen sooner.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks
    Mss
    Remember.... pillage first then burn.

Re: Question about conquest

Originally posted by ManicStarSeed
    I have never been able to win via conquest. It always turns out to be domination. Logicly I do not see how you can ever win via conquest as domination will happen sooner.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks
    Mss
    You have to raze a lot of cities instead of occupying them, as long as you don't own the land, I.E. have it within your cultural border, it doesn't count as part of the 2/3 total land needed for domination.

If you want to conquest either:

A: turn of domination or,

B: raze enemy cities instead of occupy them.
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Thanks.. so it is 2/3s LAND MASS, not population. Good to know.
      Thanks

I always play with all victory conditions on so that I have more to be concerned with. I usually set my own victory target by 10 AD as I like having to prevent various AI victories. I have found myself scurrying to start wars, give cities away to prolong wars, build the UN (always), eliminate cultural giants and so on just to keep from loosing.

I am like a cat with a ball of wool sometimes....

Thanks
      Mss

Comment

Just turn of all conditions but conquest. This will make the game much longer and the bigger the map the more work for you. I once did that on a huge map, big mistake.

Comment

Conquest = boring. Trust me on this one

Thanks.. so it is 2/3s LAND MASS, not population. Good to know.
          Thanks
          IIRC it does have something to do with population, not sure what though. I think it was 80% of total world population ?
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva848
            Conquest = boring. Trust me on this one

IIRC it does have something to do with population, not sure what though. I think it was 80% of total world population ?
            It has to require land area, population by it's self won't work.
            You would never be able to acheive conquest if it was just population.

It may be a combination of the 2 though.
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

that was what I meant: land + pop
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Yes - it is 2/3 of land and 2/3 of pop. The only time a military win for me is via conquest instead of domination (assuming all conditions are turned on) is when I win in the ancient age or very early middle ages -- lots of size 1 cities get auto-razed, and others are far enough away to not covet.

Catt

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
                  Yes - it is 2/3 of land and 2/3 of pop. The only time a military win for me is via conquest instead of domination (assuming all conditions are turned on) is when I win in the ancient age or very early middle ages -- lots of size 1 cities get auto-razed, and others are far enough away to not covet.

Catt
                  Thanks... I suspected as much. I am much more of a builder so often I am well into the middle/industrial ages before I begin my campaign. I never really raze cities unless it is strategicly necessary or have a settelers ready to reoccupy the area.

All this information helps. I will not exclude any victory conditions as that creates a "too-static" game for me. I just will remember .... RAZE EM for conquest.

It seems that domination is a real gift. It spares you from wasting another 10-15 hours of busy work after the game is mostly decided.

Mss

Comment

Domination was created to allow someone to win without finding every last city, which was a great idea IMHO. The only time it sucks is if your going for high score with all victory conditions on and you accidently go over the domination limit too early.
                    Citizen of the Apolyton team in the ISDG
                    Currently known as Senor Rubris in the PTW DG team

Comment

Edit: Never write on forums when drunk!
                      Last edited by Chemical Ollie; October 26, 2002, 03:06.
                      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                      X