No announcement yet.

How many times in a game do you cheat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many times in a game do you cheat?

Regardless of the level I'm playing, I must confess I occasionally cheat by going back to a saved game.

For example:

In the beginning I wait a turn before taking a goody hut if the goody hut produces barbarians. (I prefer to wait for scientific advances).

In the later stages I save a lot of money and a lot of trouble with planting spies by ... yes waiting a few turns for the good moment.

In the final stages of the game it happens that I attack another civ or city with not enough attacking forces. So sometimes I go back a few years to build up a greater attacking forces.

There are so many more cheats available, so the million-dollar question is: am I the only bad boy here or am I not alone in cheating?

My vote on the poll is: between 10 and 20 times a game.

Yours?
    I never cheat.
    67.50%
    I cheat between 5 and 10 times a game.
    17.50%
    I cheat between 10 and 20 times a game.
    3.75%
    I cheat between 20 and 30 times a game.
    1.25%
    I cheat whenever I like.
    10.00%

Not much point in cheating. I take my setbacks and screwups like a man. Beacuase of this I may lose more often than some.
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I usually try to avoid reloading, but sometimes ....

In my current game I had to conquer one more English city to wipe them out. I rushed the FP in Hastings with a GL to get my new territories productive (they are on another continent) and in the turn before I conquered that last city, Hastings flipped back to the English!

FP destroyed! GL wasted!

Reloaded the game, put in some more troops, same story!

Reloaded again, put in even more troops, voila! Hastings stays with me, my troops destroy the English, the world has become a better place (and I got access to two more luxury recources)!

Well, I'm playing Civ to have fun and when the game is starting to annoy me, I intercede.

Happens maybe 5 times per game.

Comment

I cheat about 1 time every 3-4 games. If I make a mistake, I try to assume it. Last time I cheated, I was disturbed during my turn and forgot to abandon a captured chinese city. I just reloaded to correct this.
        Nym
        "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

I might cheat once or twice a game. If something happens that sets me back a bit I bite my lip and try to ride through it. If it is really bad (like losing a few cities in turn to razes), which was due to an obvious or stupid oversight on my behalf, I will probably reload or quit.

There are times when I just plain forget to do something, in which case I don't consider it cheating.

In Civ2 I would cheat freely and frequently, in particular reloading with goody huts!

Comment

Let me strongly urge you to 1) find the level of the game where you are very competitive 2) don't cheat 3) try to win strings of games in a row or do something else that makes you strongly attached to not losing according to the rules.

This is a blast. Being deeply invested in the outcome is what makes the game very interesting. Not cheating while simulataneously believing each game is very important to you will increase the fun. That's the bottom line.
            Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

ok, put all of you guys on my blacklist for MP

Personnally , I never cheat.Don't need to
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Real men don't cheat.
                Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

I wold have answered this question before MP. But now, I don't want to end on some "balcklists"
                  "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                  --George Bernard Shaw
                  A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                  --Woody Allen

Comment

It would be a lie to say that I never cheat, but it's less than once per game. My most common cheat is to restart the same map from scratch and try a different stategy. I'm also tempted to use the steal tech/reload cheat, but I have not yet been in a situation where it would be of any use (after I heard of it two weeks ago). Occasionally, I also use the goodie hut/reload cheat.
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by alva848
                      ok, put all of you guys on my blacklist for MP

Personnally , I never cheat.Don't need to
                      Any cheat involving reload would not be very useful on MP, would it? You need hacks there.
                      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Bambul
                        There are times when I just plain forget to do something, in which case I don't consider it cheating.
                        Agreed! Happens quite often in a two (or even more)-front-line-war.

Comment

Voted "never cheat", but it may not be true depending on what you call cheating. I reload only in case I forget to do something obvious... something I know I have to do, but forget to... mostly because of my empire being too big. I also reload if I accidentally hit a wrong key and, say, move my unit somewhere I did not want to. I sometimes live with it, sometimes reload... I wanna have fun with the game and having one's operation spoiled because of a stupid error is not fun.

However, I never reload if something I do or not do intentionally turns out to be a bad idea. That would spoil the fun for me... I enjoy winning only if it means winning in a honorable way.

Basically, I do my best to do only what the AI can. AI never forgets to do everything it "wants" and never hits any wrong key... so I grant myself the right to correct this kind of errors...

OTOH, I quite often quit a game, if it is not going well for me... but I never restart the same map. I simply start a new game...

Comment

Never. I don't reload if I lose a city or do something else. Basically, I don't even reload if I hit the wrong key - I vuew those as some addtional setbacks.
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I never reload an ongoing game in order to change a result. I even try to pretend I don't know I'll have Tanks in 5,000 years. It's the mystery of an unknown future that makes the game fun (for me).

Comment

Working...
                              X