No announcement yet.

How far apart is 3 tiles? 4? 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I place a city where a city needs to be placed. Ideally, that is NOT overlapping another city's working radius. Unless I'm just trying to grab territory from the AI or get to a resource, then I don't mind overlap as much.
    You're a man- you can be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM2433
      So by your system, a tile would be -1 tile apart from itself? I guess you would say it's not apart from itself at all, but to me that sounds like 0 tiles apart. Then, in a logical progression, the tiles right next to a given tile are 1 tile apart from it, and so on. The "distance" given is from the center of one tile to another.
      No, I'm saying that would be 1 tile AWAY, not 1 tile APART.

And really...I don't care what the standard is, as long as I know what it is.

Which is why I asked.

Still, 1 tile apart, IMO, would be City-Tile-City.
      1 tile away would be...silly, but City-City.

Hey! It's the Twin Cities!

Hehe, thanks again for the help, oh great gods of Apolyton.
      "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

I too find the "borg"/ICS a bit.... ....ugly and....
        ....repulsive to me
        That is why I love SMAC. This type of city placement would make sense for Yang, and would be strange for Deirdre... It lends a sense of adequacy to the game.

If your workers chop down a forest and your speakers are off, does it make a sound?
        Who would've thought that Berkeley's philosophy could be applied to Civ3?
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

ducki,

I'm with you. I can't bear the borg/ICS style, and to me "four tiles apart" would mean city-1-2-3-4-city.

I no longer insist on 4-tile spacing (no overlap), and will often drop to 3, especially in the early going.

For instance, in my last game, my capitol had 5 (!) cows in its radius. 2 of those were out the very outskirts, and thus by building cities 3 tiles out (capitol-1-2-3-city), I was able to utilize a cow each in the new cities, leaving my capitol three others to use. It was an embarrassment of riches, and claiming all 5 of them for Thebes would have been silly.

But for the most part, my cities are built with little or no overlap.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
          X