Gemless game??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gemless game??

I have noticed in recent games, that picking a 5 billion year old world, which has the fewest mountain/hill terrain squares, results in a map completely devoid of Gems. Considering that in these games, I always pick a wet climate (lots of jungle), and there are no gems on the map, I think this is a serious problem. Several times it has been brought up on the forums that many games are missing one or more luxury - does anyone know if this will be fixed in PtW?

It just seems strange that, despite the lack of substantially mountainous terrain, that in the extensive jungles there are no gems to be found. In fact, I don't recall seeing gems in jungle terrain since the days of 1.07f. Have gems been moved exclusively to mountains? And is this why my 5 billion-year-old-world games often result in no gems? Someone throw me a frickin bone on this one, because the 4 happy faces that I can't get in these games REALLY hurts.
    Wadsworth: Professor Plum, you were once a professor of psychiatry specializing in helping paranoid and homicidal lunatics suffering from delusions of grandeur.
    Professor Plum: Yes, but now I work for the United Nations.
    Wadsworth: Well your work has not changed.

alternative world--->happens

There have been maps with no oil or other vital resources. Think of it as a challenge

btw: did you rate your own thread???
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Only the producer knows what will be in the final cut of PTW.

I doubt it will be changed though. A bit late to bring it up...
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Civilopedia will tell you that gems can only be found in mountains, so no wonder you haven't seen any in the jungle....

Comment

Doesn't the number of types of available luxuries also depend on number of opponents and/or size of map?

Comment

Strangely, I've been getting maps with entirely too many gems!

Well, it was good for my empire because I was trading about 4 of them to other nations for a veritable CrapLoad of CASH.
            My Reach always exceeds my Grasp...

Comment

I discovered the same thing, large map 4 billion, 7 resources, but no gems! And there were a lot of mountains...
              "Where I come from, we don't fraternize with the enemy - how about yourself?"
              Civ2 Military Advisor

Comment

Must be bad luck. Looking in the real rules (the editor) gems can be found on jungle and mountain tiles.
                Seemingly Benign
                Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I seen gemless worlds several times. Playing Standard/Continents, it's happened to me maybe 3 times. It's always gems that are missing, never one of the other luxuries.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by alva848
                    btw: did you rate your own thread???
                    yes, I did. alcohol causes me to do some crazy things
                    Wadsworth: Professor Plum, you were once a professor of psychiatry specializing in helping paranoid and homicidal lunatics suffering from delusions of grandeur.
                    Professor Plum: Yes, but now I work for the United Nations.
                    Wadsworth: Well your work has not changed.

Comment

For those who find that map settings at the extremes of the terrain settings don't generate some resources, then tweak the terrain settings with the editor.

Jungle: I make this the home of incense and oil .. so wet and dry worlds are equally blessed with resources.

Hills and mountains: Make good homes for lots of stuff.

Tundra: As well as oil, other stuff can be placed here so cold worlds get their share of resources.

Plains: In a wet world, you may get no deserts at all, so stuff like Oil that can be found in deserts should also appear here.

In short, diversify your terrain settings for all resources, so each resource can be found in at least three different terrains, preferably terrains at the extremes of warm and cold, wet and dry. I have always had good resources (including the game where I got 5 of 8 Uranium in 25% of the land).
                      None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucilla
                        Civilopedia will tell you that gems can only be found in mountains, so no wonder you haven't seen any in the jungle....
                        Oops, I was mistaken, gems can of course be also in jungle....

Comment

Working...
                        X