3 million? 4 million? 5 million?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 million? 4 million? 5 million?

Can someone tell me the differences (and benefits) when choosing between a world that is 3 or 4 or 5 million years old?

Or point me to a thread that discusses this?

Many thanks in advance.
    Jack

A five million year old world will be flatter. If you choose to use a three million year old world however you are more likely to have iron and other strategic mountain resources nearby.
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

So, the older the better. Why would someone choose "flatter"?

Thanks
      Jack

Comment

Sorry -- the other way around. The newer the better.
        Jack

Comment

Why would someone choose "flatter"?
          To either make things interesting or because the flatter the map the more room there is to expand and the faster that expansion can take place.
          For your photo needs:
          http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

All true but it also offers the opportunity to have different game variety so for example I might like to try a flatter world with the Germans today and next time the Romans in the Himalayas,it aids replayability.
            A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

I find mountains a nuisance and especially frustrating when I find myself alone on a smallish continent with lots of mountains, leaving few suitable city-founding tiles.

Also defending a city bordered by mountains can be problematic.

Comment

I seem to see more large swaths of jungles when I use 4bc. I hate jungle when it is many tiles deep. I had a huge land mass with a giant patch in the middle that buried several starting locations.

Comment

I really hate that as well, I often (read: nearly always) encounter HUGE jungles and deserts in my (5bc) maps. Not only is it terribly annoying to have all that junk in your map, but it also doesn't encourage the AI to find *good* starting locations for a change. I understand the AI values territory high as it's directly linked to the domination victory, but building cities on 2-tile islands consting of a jungle and a mountain (or 3-tile polar no features islands, as in my most recent game) is just too much.
                  The willow knows what the storm does not; that the power to endure harm outlives the power to inflict it

Comment

does the age of the planet affect the number of resources available (I mean directly, not just by affecting the number of mountains)?
                    I'm playing a game on a 3 billion year old earth, large map, 12 civs (miraculously all still alive at 1000AD), and I've only seen about 7 saltpeter sources. I've changed the BIC, but not the number of resources.

Comment

I would think so, in that the more mountains the more chances for resources and luxs that can only occur in mountains. The more mountains, the less of other types, so those tiles will impact some resources. Age affects terrain, which affects resources.

Comment

Young world (3 billion years) has terrain and resources more clumped, so you will find larger masses of grass, plains, mountains, luxuries, etc.
                        Old world is more homogenized.

I do not really appreciate the differences in my games because I randomize the age. My only real preference for game setup is for large continents, and a world that is at least 'standard' in size.

MiloMilo, I presume you have used the 'clear map' (Ctrl-Shift-M) to confirm that cities are not on top of saltpeter.

Comment

3 billion will often give a serious advantage to industrious civs, because the terrain tends to be more rugged. Plus, if you get a nice start spot, you very well may have the only one

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                          X