Ever had a Super-Lucky City ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vmxa1

What is your thoughts on getting hospitals right away on the theory that more citizen means more production?
    I tend to only have four or five cities butting up against the twelve city limit at that point plus there is the matter of happiness. If I don't have happiness to grow I am not that interested. Also I find that most of the cities will have the kind of production I am looking for when they have a factory and hydro power from the Hoover Dam (enough to produce a tank in two or three turns).

I have noticed that once I get the hospital and pump the cities population up it makes a real difference on cash. Usually more than it does for production since all the cash is retained and excess production is lost. Certainly I want at least five hospitals before going on a major tank rampage so I can heal in enemy territory with the Battle Field Medicine small wonder.

A few times I ignored building hospitals a bit too long and it sure put a crimp in my research once I reached the Modern Age.

Nationalism bypass case was made rather well by Zachrial (sp) or someone and made me consider it at times.
    I think it depends a bit on the circumstances. If I am at war then I will have to bite the Minie Ball and go for Nationalism because its quite a few turns before I can Infantry unless I bypass other techs I really want.

Comment

I used to go for Nationalism first in the Industrial Age but now I bybass it as well. The whole idea is to get to Hoover as quick as possible and I think this is the fastest route. Following up the Hoover Tech with Replaceable Parts before Hospitals speeds up my Railroading.

I agree and I love the hoover (isn't it funny in Civ3 we actually agree on things ? ) but Since i tend to play a Scientific civ often, I usually get Nationalism for free.

I doubt it would be worth abandoning a size twelve city either. I am usually still getting most of my cities up to twelve as I shoot for TOE. In the both the cases I mentioned the city was a newer city that was closer to my Forbidden Palace than the capital.

I always aim for big cities ... maybe its just a habit but it works for my strategies i guess...

Aside- have you ever noticed that we have THEN and THAN which are two similar words, but we don't have two versions of THAT so wind up with the awkward THAT THAT pair which is actually pronounced and used as two slightly different words THET THAT.

I DID notice that hehe

Sometimes it does to get the Iron Works. That is one heck of a powerfull small wonder.

No argument. Great in my strat because I can usually use that new city to build up a military and use my other cultural beacons to build wonders and improvements.

Think of it slightly differently. Not something we can actually do in the game but the example is twin cities that later grew to become one because there was good reason for one city close to another. Buda and Pesht now the single city Budapesht comes to mind.

I think thats what I said... I like keeping my original city and building another small one close and they both kind of work together i guess...

We should charge admission. I could use the money.

I agree Maybe we can start a Thadalex VS. Ethelred thread in the off-topic section , post a bunch of ads and split the profits.

Cheers
      ~Thadalex

PS now off to read what you replied to the other posts
      "Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion"
      -Democritus of Abdera

Comment

Working...
      X