Civ 3 Tech Tree and Unit Summary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 3 Tech Tree and Unit Summary

I have created a tech tree for Civ 3 with all 4 ages shown on a single 8.5"x11" page. I have also created a 1-page detailed unit summary. Both are available as native office files or pdf files on my web site at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pmm1/games/games.html

The data is applicable to v1.29f.
    Nethog

The unit summary is pretty cool, but I think the tech tree would be easier to read if formatted "landscape" style.
    Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

Well, if you look at my tech trees for Civ 1, Civ2, and SMAC/X they are all bottom up - so I am biased towards this layout. Sorry FNBrown!
      Nethog

Comment

Good job Nethog.

Comment

you should know these by hart!!

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Nethog
            Well, if you look at my tech trees for Civ 1, Civ2, and SMAC/X they are all bottom up - so I am biased towards this layout. Sorry FNBrown!
            No need to apologize! I'm just used to seeing the tree sideways within the game.
            Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

I have completely redone the tech tree to be read left to right! Hope you all like this format better.
              Nethog

Comment

Nethod,

Sorry I don't see the value add. It is great that you have something that works for you and you want to share with others.

Have you seen the reference files available on civfanatics.com?

Now what would be useful is a unit summary that would include
                1- the new units coming in PTW
                2- the upgrade path of units. Not just X upgrades to Y which upgrades to Z, but
                unit cost upgrade_cost_from_base a.d.m
                spearman ## -- #.#.#
                pikeman ## ## #.#.#
                rifeman ## ## #.#.#

Just an idea.

-- PF

Comment

Quote by planetfall:
                  Sorry I don't see the value add. It is great that you have something that works for you and you want to share with others.
                  Well you got it - it works for me and I made it available so others can use it as well if they like - non-interested civers can simply ignore this thread. I have received several compliments from others in other civ forums. Yes I have seen the reference files on civfanatics - I think LoneWolf5050 et al did a great job with the "Civilization III Complete Reference File" however I did not like flipping through 4 pages representing the tech tree and 4 pages showing the units of units (categorized by type, rather then more appropriately by age as I did) - so thats why I basically created my own "single-pager" reference files - two pages vs eight! I am still using the other pages from LoneWolf5050's pack since they ARE very good.

When PTW comes around I'll buy it and update my reference material.

I like your idea of including upgrade costs. Do you know if someone has summarized these costs anywhere? I still like the units categorized by age, but I could add a column next to the upgrade column with the upgrade cost.
                  Nethog

Comment

I have put version 0.91 of the units summary on my website at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pmm1/games/games.html

New in 0.91 is a graphical representation of unit upgrades as well as upgrade costs. I have also made a few other minor revisions.
                    Nethog

Comment

Ok, now there is value add.

I didn't realize upgrade cost is
                      2 * (new unit cost - old unit cost)

-- PF

Comment

I just posted 0.92 of the unit summary chart on http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pmm1/games/games.html

I added a disband amount column which was generated by the formula 25%*unit cost ROUNDED DOWN to the nearest integer. If anyone spots an exception to this please let me know.

I also added the upgrade cost for archers which I missed in the previous version of the chart.

PF and all - If anyone finds a problem with the upgrade costs predicted by the formula, please let me know.
                        Nethog

Comment

I have updated the Tech Tree to version 0.91 with the following enhancements:

I have added the Cultural value for all Wonders (inc. small) and for non-zero cultural value City Improvements.

Also, I have added a code with the Civ specific ability (e.g. S for Scientific, C for Commercial, etc) for each Wonder to make it easier to plan for Golden Ages.

You can download the tech tree in Powerpoint or Adobe format at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pmm1/games/games.html
                          Nethog

Comment

I have put a new version of the tech tree (0.92) on my website at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pmm1/games/games.html

In this version I have added the terrain types where the various strategic resources can be found.

If anyone has good suggestions for additional info they would like to see added to the tech tree please let me know.
                            Nethog

Comment

You did a really nice job with these reference pages Nethog - thanks for sharing. I have a couple of suggestions though for future versions. You might want to include "Wall Street" under BANKING since it's a small wonder that becomes available only once you have this and 5 banks. Also - "Battlefield Medicine" should go under Sanitation since it becomes possible once you can build hospitals and have at least 5 of them. The small wonder "Iron Works" should probably go under STEAM POWER since you can build it only after you've discovered both iron and coal.

Lunacy

Comment

Working...
                              X