Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a "mutual non-aggresion pact" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a "mutual non-aggresion pact" ?

Right now, the only way to make sure that a 3rd civ won't ally with your direct enemy against you is signing a MPP pact or a "military alliance against ..." with them.

This is however not what I want. I don't want to be dragged in some stupid war the AI is starting and also I'd like to be able to stop my wars when I want to, not when the alliance has ended.
    What I want is only to be sure that they won't attack me during my wars with other civs, and nothing more. Hence the "mutual non-aggresion pact" (MNAP) idea. Something that would be between a peace treaty and a MPP.

Of course a MPP would still be stronger than a MNAP. Let's say that I sign a MNAP with X and X signs a MPP with Y. If I attack Y, X would declare war to me, despite of the MNAP.

(I hope I was clear enough. )

What do you think?
    "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
    --George Bernard Shaw
    A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
    --Woody Allen

You'd have my full support for this idea. Would be a great addition to the current diplomacy options!

Comment

You could call it the Piss Off and Leave Me Alone Pact.

Comment

I might be obtuse (and I apologize for that) but what was your point?
        "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
        --George Bernard Shaw
        A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
        --Woody Allen

Comment

Very good idea
          That is exactly the type of alliance I am often looking for.
          Nym
          "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Originally posted by Tiberius
            I might be obtuse (and I apologize for that) but what was your point?
            He who laughs last didn't get the joke.

Comment

Ok. Good idea.
              "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
              Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Very good idea!
                This is definitely missing.

And as we are already discussing this topic:
                What about a "Please make peace with ..." option?

AFAIR it was included in MOO2 and I was a bit disappointed that civ3 didn't provide it.
                it could be of practical use when you want to protect a vassal state or a valuable trading partner without actually going to war and it could greatly increase your reputation when you act as a global mediator.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred
                  He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
                  I smiley could have been helpful.
                  This being said, would you sign with me a "Piss Off and Leave Me Alone Pact." ?
                  --George Bernard Shaw
                  --Woody Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Der PH
                    What about a "Please make peace with ..." option?
                    It would be a wellcomed addition, too. The UN could be the prerequisite wonder for such proposals/demands.
                    --George Bernard Shaw
                    --Woody Allen

Comment

That'd be a welcomed addition to the game and give a new and very interesting twist to the Diplomacy aspect of the game. I usually do not go into an alliance because it's a certainty that will drag you into an unwanted war.

So long...
                      Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                      Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                      Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

The UN could be the prerequisite wonder for such proposals/demands.
                        Agreed!
                        Now we just have to get FIRAXIS listen to us!

Comment

I'm totally for it. Any additions to the diplomacy would be great as it is woefully crappy compared to SMAC (see many threads *****ing about UN, please stop war against friend, etc).

I love the idea of a non agression pact. like what Hitler and Stalin did, but it didn't really work out for them because they were both nerds. I have also had it with AIs stopping MPPs because I'm no help or being dragged into war.

These extra option would work excellently with the UN discovery. Any chance of this ever so slightly huge change comming in a patch, for it is way too late for PTW?

Comment

I smiley could have been helpful.
                            Smileys are evil and are a detrement to dry humour.

This being said, would you sign with me a "Piss Off and Leave Me Alone Pact." ?
                            Well it was your idea. I just labeled it.

I find an MPP gets the desired result. Just remember to cancel at the end of twenty turns. I have the game preferences set to renegotiate treaties at the end the end of the twenty turns. One of the nicer changes in 1.29f.

Comment

I agree completly!

Some demand, like "stop the agression on our friend" will be usefull to deals diplomatics more real, instead of only have a huge military force to impose your points.
                              Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Comment

Working...
                              X