Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the effect of losing your capital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to mention that taking a capitol breaks any trade deals with civs to which the new capitol is not connected. But as Proteus_MST pointed out, if you cut off the capitol (and wait one turn?) before taking it, ALL the trade deals will be broken. Sometimes it's strange the way the game mechanics work: in this case, a new city gains the ability to trade with other nations because the capitol was destroyed. In fact, a new capitol springing up suddenly really doesn't make much sense in a lot of ways if I think of it in terms of the real world.
    "God is dead." - Nietzsche
    "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

Yeah, I think losing the capitol should involve much greater penalties. As Proteus_MST points out it's much better to pillage/destroy all the roads and improvements around the capitol and leave it there, neutered, rather than letting it switch to their next best city. Good post Proteus.

Comment

Eh, come on guys! Do you want to give the AI civs MORE penalties?? Don't they have enough problems already? They can't even THINK!!

It's not like the PLAYER is going to lose his capital. If he does then it will be a real fulfilling challenge to win the game regardless.

Comment

Losing your capital isn't all that hard. I often use my second GL to shift my capital right to the front. That's usually at the end of an inconclusive war, with the hopw of a reasonable spell of peace to get some cultural flips and amass forces for a new assault. Once in a while the defenders mess up at a critical moment.
          It's never been too big a problem, although one does tend to feel stupid for quite a while afterwards.

Comment

You're right Jaybee, the AI is too easy to beat already. But I would just enjoy it more if there was greater emphasis placed on the capitol, and that the AI was programmed to guard it accordingly. I don't like that it has that "just another city" aspect. A sense of accomplishment and a "stake-in-the-heart" feel would add depth and give me a goal around which to plan my war. (Instead of just picking cherries).

Comment

Working...
            X